• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

If zoning doesn't address it , how close can a pool be placed to the main structure?

patrickjames

2018 IRC P2604.4 Protection of Footings
Trenching installed parallel to footings and walls shall not extend into the bearing plane of a footing or wall. The upper boundary of the bearing plane is a line that extends downward, at an angle of 45 degrees (0.79 rad) from horizontal, from the outside bottom edge of the footing or wall.

So for example an 8 foot deep pool end typically needs to be 8 feet away from the foundation footing if this is a slab on ground with the minimum 12 inch deep footing.

Are there any other code references in regards to this that i am missing?

A pool can be placed as close as the engineering allows. Eight feet or no feet…it depends on the design of the pool.
You said the E word! Ha ha. I just wanted to see what is required without an engineers design, just a reference from the building code.
What it all boils down to is you do not want the pool within the soil which is be loaded by the structure above, and that is measured out and down at a 45 degree angle from the bottom of the footing.

A pool can be placed as close as the engineering allows. Eight feet or no feet…it depends on the design of the pool.
I was just going to post this exact same reply. This is the answer. We have had issues where sheet piles had to be driven down along the foundation of the main structure in order to put the pool so close.

I have one house being built on the ocean into the dune that will have a glass window as part of the pool on the foundation wall so there is no space between the house and the pool. You can now look into the pool from the lower level built into the dune.

Five feet if windows are on that exterior wall or unless they want to temper them.