• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Inspection of Shower/Tub

I've seen thin plywood or hardboard used behind fiberglass tub/showers with integral walls. I'd be nervous about using it behind a tub with tiled walls above. If there were any leaks the plywood or hardboard would disintegrate pretty fast. I'd feel better using cement or Hardie backer board.
Do you know how they seal the joints on the cement or hardie board ? I see videos for tile showers and they tape the joints with something same as you would do drywall , some time it is red color . The 2 big home improvement places have all the tile and cement boards and grout but dont have a clue what to use to tape and seal the joints .

Do you know how they seal the joints on the cement or hardie board ? I see videos for tile showers and they tape the joints with something same as you would do drywall , some time it is red color . The 2 big home improvement places have all the tile and cement boards and grout but dont have a clue what to use to tape and seal the joints .
Go to the John Bridge Tile Forum for all your answers to tile questions! It is the best

In the past plumbers always set the tub and connected it before the rough plumbing inspection . Now I am total confused on that . The inspector wants to do the rough plumbing inspection before he okays for insulation to be installed . When he inspects the insulation he does not want the tub/shower in place because he wants to be sure the wall behind the combo is insulated and also has an air blocker on the wall behind the combo . How can he inspect the insulation with the air block over it ? Does he consider the rough in plumbing complete with the pipes caped and not connected to the tub ? Someone please explain the procedure to me. I am getting ready for a rough inspection . As you know the tub must be set before the dry wall is done .
Your house inspector knows better, for sure. He may want to ensure that there are no any hidden defects that would cause problems in the future. Many builders surprisingly don’t know the waterproofing standards well enough, and rely entirely on untrained and inexperienced contractors, which we see from time to time.

See Correct Inspections page