• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Inspections per 2006 IPC 312.2

Mule: Despite anything previously posted by me, I am not in agreement with you.

I always enforce every code provision on every project within my jurisduction. I always check every person's license on every job I view. Even though I am the only inspector in my jurisdiction having a population of about 31,000, and having about 10,500 dwelling units, there is never the slightest deviation from the code. Every job is permitted. Every job has every test using the proper gauge. Safe access to perform every inspection is always provided. Every vent and dirty arm is properly tested by the book, rain or shine, sleet or snow.

Also, on a personal note, I never speed, I have never performed an illegal plumbing, electrical, or other building repair or project, and, for you Christians, I have never sinned.

I am delighted to know there are many out there like me who bless this forum with perfect adherence to every provision of the code, and bestow, without exception, that same principle on others.

Autovents, or AAVs only admit air when there is a vacuum, they don't expel into the attic. I'm not sure how that applies.

Not every inspection can be perfect, but I personally try to do the best job I can reasonably do.

All my inspection reports for a new home were FOILed by an attorney the other day. I sleep well.

Thanks Tim. Good points all. I also try.

And, based on your response, I assume you always require the ten foot head or equivalent on every drain and vent, save the uppermost 10' of vent? And, regardless of the personal risk of performing the inspections?

Jobsaver said:
Thanks Tim. Good points all. I also try.And, based on your response, I assume you always require the ten foot head or equivalent on every drain and vent, save the uppermost 10' of vent? And, regardless of the personal risk of performing the inspections?
I would tend to believe you assume incorrectly; I did say, "not every inspection can be perfect". I stand by requiring what can reasonably be expected. Once trap adapters are glued on, threaded caps can be installed. I would allow the WC to be stubbed up and capped, as this is usually where the balloons let go. In that instance the WC flange would not have been tested, but it would be a reasonable compromise over finished space.

I am not sure what you mean by 'personal risk'. My personal risk would be in not performing an inspection.

Are you saying that the DWV should not be tested for fear of a joint failing?

I'll have to go back a page in the thread, because I must have missed something. You seem to be on the defensive; I don't recall putting you in that position.

Tim. I apologize in advance, especially with regards to the context of your original post. The teetotalers get to me sometimes.

It is a hobby of mine to visit jobsites when I travel, and have yet to find a jobsite reflecting code perfection. And, I do not mind admitting that I include my own AHJ. I think Mule is trying to express the same idea. DO THE BEST JOB POSSIBLE, AND GET REAL ABOUT IT WHEN POSTING! Maybe I have it wrong though.

In looking back, I believe you are referring to my 'everything gets tested' statement. It was an absolute statement, I did not expect it to get interpreted so literally. In the context of the situation, the plumber did not want to do any sort of a test. My position was everything gets tested. A reasonable compromise was made.

I will reiterate that no inspection is perfect. If it weren't for discretion I would still be inspecting my first job.

You have not put me on the defensive. You are not a teetotaler. Sometimes, there is a little confusion because of posting sequences.

The personal risk comes with scaling a 12/12 pitch roof to determine a test on vents, which has little to do with your original post, but everything to do with Mule's inquiry.

Mule,

You seem to be very passionate about the 10' head of water, however you need to read the section again. It says, except the uppermost 10 feet of the system, shall have been submitted to a test of less than a 10 foot head of water.

I realize you are the BO of your jurisdiction and you can interpolate the code as you see fit, however you may consider the other post of your colleagues on this one. I have discussed this one with our Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners, (Lisa Hill) and she says the dainage and vent system needs to tested through the roof.

Respectfully,

Kevin

Kevin,

Thanks for pointing that out. Sometimes you read something and miss one of the most important meanings. I was reading that when you install plumbing in successive sections, then you weren't required to test the uppermost 10 feet.

So could this mean that on an outside wall, single story, that you wouldn't have to test the vent system IF the vent termination was not over 10 feet? OR does this mean that you have to take the complete job and as long as the vents terminating the roof were not more than 10 feet then none of the vent system would be tested?

In thinking, I think you are saying, take the highest vent termination, measure down 10 feet, and nothing above that line needs to be tested. Everything below that line needs tested. Correct?

No Sir,

All that means is the uppermost 10' is not required to have a 10' head of water for the test. It still has to be tested.

And how would you test that portion if the system was pvc?

Put a ball in the two way cleanout in fill the pipes with water. I have only been inspecting for 13 years, but have seen it done the whole time. 2 story houses this way as well as single story. They may also install cleanouts on the drains below the fixture drains, (trap arms) and fill the vents through the roof. (test in sections) Seen it done both ways. The verbiage has not changed since the 1994 UPC and thats as far back as go.

Okay so tell me if I get it right this time. You still test the entires system with water, fill everything up to the highest vent termination, the lower vent terminations you have a test ball inserted so you can still test the higher ones. Water is filled to the highest vent termination.

can some body tell me for ICC plumbing certification (p2 ) there are three books IPC, IFGC and ICC/ANSI A 117.1-2003.

I want to take ICC P2 certification exam. What I understand is I need to prepare complete book IPC. But about other two books I want to know how much questions are from these books, I think chapter 6 complete, section 1003 type A units, 1004 type B units and other plumbing related questions( not questions from all ICC/ANSI A 117.1-2003 book) and similarly chapter 3 and 4 of IFGC not whole book.

will some body guide me.

gauher

A

You can't test an entire stack in a high rise building at one time... the test balls can't handle that much pressure.

Nothing in IPC requires that the inspector witness the test.. only that it be tested. It all falls down to the permit holder to make the applicable tests and give reasonable advance notice to the Code official.. if it's freezing and the code official can't get there, the permit holder shall be responsibile for determining that the work will withstand the test pressure.. not the code official. If you are notified that the test will be done, and the permit holder certifies that it was done.. that's all that's required.