• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Inspector jobs

Personality and how you will "fit" into the existing organization is more important to me than the number of certs or the amount of experience you have.
I can and will train anybody who wants to learn. I can not train personalities.

The more you show your willingness to learn on your own that speak volumes to most of us.
Are you willing to relocate. A smaller jurisdiction might be a better start

I would say that all of your life experience applies not just the certs and I am in agreement with mtlogcabin. Most of the people on here either spent time in the construction fields and then transitioned to the inspector role. Some came from the design side to the inspection field. If you want to eventually get to the inspection career I would try to work for the best construction company you can and then be their best performer.
As has been stated this field has its special times when either politics get involved or clients relations are such that it can be a pain. For the most part it is a good career. The larger departments allows for specialty inspection categories, the smaller require real broad detailed knowledge in many disciplines. To do this well you will have to get it into your brain that you must press yourself to learn all the time. The codes have lots of nuances that you have to untangle then you get to the field where you need to know what you are looking at. I would bet that all of us could tell you stories of our past ignorance but we somehow get past it by becoming better. That's why most of us are paying to be here on this forum - to learn what we don't know and find out what others think is the real interpretation. We also have a little bit of fun too.

Besides the code books and cert studying you are doing I would suggest reading a book called "what color is your parachute". It gives advise on resumes, job application and the scary odds, the resume weeding, the interview process etc. It is updated I think yearly to reflect today's career paths. I read it probably 30 years ago and it left an impression on me. I can tell you that after I polished my resume it did change my outcomes in terms of getting job offers. Today's digital environment has changed the game but me thinks taking a resume by hand and leaving your foot in the door so it can't close may still work.

Good luck

It sounds like some of you are already inspectors and feel that it is a great career and rewarding as well as challenging. This is exactly what I'm looking for in my career. Could my youth also be a down side when I'm being interviewed?

@cda im 32. @ICE id like to do the job correctly so that I may advance and have a career instead of a job. Is this not what people do as inspectors? I know the joke in the field is that inspectors don't know anything. I don't think that's true but maybe it is. Do most inspectors not know what there doing?
I work with 150 other inspectors. Like any other job, some are good at it and some shouldn't be doing it. The emphasis is on customer service rather than competent inspections. In another five years inspectors will not need correction notices. That will be a boon for the construction industry and there will be no turning back. Of course this is Southern California which is a world all to it's own.

Was wondering where the California people were?

Come on offer him an interview,, Better a job!!!

Could anyone recommend an inspection company in or around the Los Angeles area that might be willing to give someone training and a chance?

JAS Pacific
G-Crew
Wildan

I don't know what their policy is on training but they are active in Socal.

Can anyone help me find where the inspectors of Southern California meet? I'd like to make my presence known like you all have suggested but not sure where to start

Hello all! I'm new to the forum. Names Tad. Just wanted to give some background and get some advice. Worked in hvac for my dads company for over ten years. Been on construction sites since I was like 9. Got my ICC cert for plumbing and started to apply for inspector jobs. Been having a hard time getting anything I'll get the invite to the test and interview andnevermake it past. Being in hvac I never really felt with foundations. I also went to the local community college and have an associates degree in building inspection technology. My question is how do I go about getting training to become an inspector?

Im married and just had my first child. She's six months old. My problem is I currently work in the automotive trade because my fathers company wasn't making me enough money to support my family. I had a friend who got me a job as a technician making a lot more money. I have no contractors license so to try to make the same money in construction isn't easy right now.

So here is my two cents worth. I graduated with a Associates degree in building inspection, the problem was I had no real construction experience, I got 8 certifications behind me but my lack of experience stopped me dead. I ended up getting hired by a 'special testing' firm, they sample and tested concrete as well as verified that the stuff being poured was the proper design mix. Read plans for epoxy anchors, checked plans and did inspections for masonry, welding, etc. Lots of things that the typical inspector doesn't have time for as well as they don't go and get the certifications for. That job lasted 3 years until the recession hit, but my experience and certs got me my present job with an airport. Bottom line, look a little outside the box. I would think your best bet is to get your mechanical cert and seek out mechanical inspector jobs. Some private firms also hire mechanical inspectors, since you've worked in HVAC you have a good idea of what you are looking at/for - good luck.

Two cents more - do code compliance, it's a chance to get your foot in the door and gain experience. Seriously consider moving and check out the employment section of this board; I'll keep my eye peeled for entry level jobs.

There is a company busy in so cal, here is the link, they are presently looking for (among other positions) a permit tech - again it's a foot in the door.
http://www.californiacodecheck.com/careers/

@mmmarvel i appreciate the help. Moving really isn't an option in my particular situation. My wife has a well paying job locally, she makes more than I do currently so we can't make it difficult on her. I'd like to stay within a 40 mile drive one way. Depending on pay I'd be willing to drive further or what have ya.

40 mile radius from where?? I posted some more jobs in CA including one that specifies it's an entry level job. So are you talking 40 radius of LA or what?? Did you look into the firm that I posted the web site to (in a previous message)??

@mmmarvel yeah I was looking at the site. I'm going to apply for permit tech for sure! Any foot in the door with equal pay to what I'm getting currently is the foot I'm looking for. I currently live in San Pedro. I found the drive to Costa Mesa everyday was killing me so I'd rather not travel very far. But if I get my foot in the door and have the ability to later get a job in a city or anything closer than I definitely would be willing to put up with the traffic for a while. I appreciate the links. I'm definitely going to look at them tonight and start applying

All I can say is apply, apply, apply the job you can be sure you won't get is the one you don't apply for. Cities and companies have HR departments that decide if you're qualified or not, so don't count yourself out. Don't minimize your experience. You work in the trades/construction, be proud of it, let the people hiring know that. I posted two new jobs in your geographical area today, check them out and apply. Only expense is your time.

Thank you so much guys! So many great ideas and new directions to go. I appreciate all the help and continued help. I feel very welcomed in this forum!