• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Inspector requiring fire rated ceiling in residential furnace closet

The code does not allow you to install a horizontal screen over the opening. I'm wouldn't be concerned of an opening in my home because I'm not tolerant of vermin in my attic. Of course, I'll correct something if its a real issue no matter how long it's been there, but this furnace closet has been like this since the 1950's.

The head inspector re-inspected the job last week. He was the one I was dealing with but neither of us had actually seen the job. Apparently he passed it and signed off on the permit.
Is this a duct or just a hole we're talking about?

This is just a hole, a closet with no ceiling. But by default the hole becomes the upper combustion air vent. No horizontal screens allowed on combustion air vents. They get blocked from dust and insulation. I think the inspector could have required me to put a barricade around the outside to hold insulation back.