• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Inspector won't climb the ladder.

chris kennedy

Sawhorse
I have a remodel going in an eight exam room office. The scope of work is to replace existing 2×4 layins in the exam rooms and add X-ray room and dark room. I got the rough on the new walls for dark room and X-ray room a while back. Called for final and had one ceiling tile open between the new fixtures and the j-boxes above the switch with ladders and flash lights ready. Inspector tells me I need to open the whole ceiling and call for a rough. Says he won't climb the 8' step ladder to look. (9' ceilings) So I get a hardy laugh out of that and the guy just stares at me then gives me the ole "I've been doing this for 40 years blah, blah, blah..."

A few of you here know me, this ain't my first rodeo. Now I have to make two more trips to a small job for a rough and a final.

So the question here is how many of you inspectors refuse to climb a ladder?

Thanks for reading, have a great weekend.

Re: Inspector won't climb the ladder.

We climb ladders here. I was actually on one inspection where the person put in all the ceiling tiles. We told them to pull out certain ones and every one along the perimeter only. Came back about an hour later.

It is in my job discription under minimum physical qualifications. As long as the ladder is rated for the weight I don't think he could refuse but then again you are in Dade County with its own little code world ;)

We climb ladders. Step, extention, etc... For insurance reasons only we do not climb home made ladders.

jpranch said:
For insurance reasons only we do not climb home made ladders.
I wouldn't either. I carry only high quality tools and equipment that are kept in good repair.

We had an underwriter, Seldon Pinero, that had to be 80+ at the time. I saw the bottom half of someone below the ceiling on a small convenience store remodel. 9' ceilings, 8' ladder, one tile left out near the work. The guy on the ladder starts coming down and darned if it wasn't Seldon. He didn't stop woking until a car accident left him unable to continue.

Chris, was the ceiling grid existing?

I can't imagine an inspector refusing to climb a ladder to inspect a ceiling grid and troffer lights.

Chris

Chris,

MtLogCabin said;

"As long as the ladder is rated for the weight"

The inspector said; "I've been doing this for 40 years"; maybe that was the problem. :lol:

Next time he comes; provide a bathroom scale to see if the ladder meets his particular requirements. :)

Uncle Bob

raider1 said:
Chris, was the ceiling grid existing?
Yes sir, just out with the old and in with the new. New fixtures installed as per NEC 410.36(B), FBC 803.9.1.1 and ASTM C-636.2.7.2. Wiring method as per NEC 517.13 and supported as per NEC 300.11. As I stated before, this is SOP for me for this type of inspection. What do you say to a guy like this???

I can't imagine an inspector refusing to climb a ladder to inspect a ceiling grid and troffer lights.
There is a first time for everything. This time it is costing the owner of our company dollars, wasted dollars. :cry:

We climb ladders...I'm actuallty thrilled when the contractor has the common sense to have it there without being asked.

Maybe a call to his supervisor?

fatboy said:
Maybe a call to his supervisor?
Thats not how I operate. Meeting with him again Monday, let you know how it goes.

I know that all you fine folks go out of your way to accommodate contractors and owners. I see now my OP was a rant, again, thanks for reading and responding.

Have a great weekend people, get ready to attack it again with great vigor come Monday! :D

I know one city inspector that will not walk in the mud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To all inspectors young and old: Put on your big girl panties and cowboy-up! It just ticks me off when I have inspectors doing inspections at -20 below and some... will not climb a ladder pre placed for his / her convinence equipped with flash lights.... What a crock of .... Perhaps an attitude adjustment for that inspector or department is needed??? We are supposed to be public srevants. I take that literal. Go the extra mile every day. Owner, developer, contractor,... It does not matter!

End of rant.

I heartly agree with JPranch, Uncle Bob, and the others who climb ladders. I'd have called the BO with a complaint. And I would suggest that someone who has been doing it for 40 years retire!!!

I worked with an inspector in SW Washington that was in his mid 70's.... who still climbed ladders and would even drop into a crawl space if needed to do the inspection, even though his knees hurt. He was always willing to do what it takes to do the job. And I never heard him complain! (Thanks Gene!)

Have a good weekend, everyone!

:D

Chris, Print out this thread and show it to the B.O. as a last, last, resort. This is a national board and may give him / her pause for thought?

We do an above-ceiling inspection before tile is dropped to avoid the scenario you describe.

TJacobs said:
We do an above-ceiling inspection before tile is dropped to avoid the scenario you describe.
This part of the building was existing, and I should mention that the structural inspector did have the GC open a couple tiles in this area to look at the existing fire walls. This inspector did climb the ladder to have a look.

"Thats not how I operate. Meeting with him again Monday, let you know how it goes."

This isn't your typical "I don't have to do that anywhere else" kind of phone call.......I am the CBO, and I get plenty of those, but this is way beyond that, I would WANT to know if I had a sissy inspector out there that wouldn't climb a pre-placed ladder.

It's part of the job, read any inspector job desriptions...........:roll:

fatboy said:
I am the CBO, and I get plenty of those, but this is way beyond that, I would WANT to know if I had a sissy inspector out there that wouldn't climb a pre-placed ladder. It's part of the job, read any inspector job desriptions...........:roll:
First time I met this gentleman. If he wants to be "the man" for the day, well I'll give him that. Things are slow and if he needs to roll this over for something to do on Monday, well I'll give him that also. I have an outstanding reputation in my area and an excellent rapport with every inspector I have worked with. I have the pleasure of working in an area where the inspectors are of a single discipline and for the most part very knowledgeable. I full expect that given time for more interaction we can develop mutual respect.

Well I have been in construction 44 years both as a contractor and 24 as an inspector. Ladders that are placed properly not a problem. The days of climbing the studs from floor to floor are gone.

As far as 40 years and you should retire I beg to differ. Now I don't do cell towers any more! Any of you? :mrgreen:

Good luck with the meeting on Monday. I hope your good will results in a long lasting professional relationship. Let us know how it pans out.

We usually have the opposite problem where there is no ladder when we need it. I needed one on Friday and there was not one on site. I asked the G.C. if he had one and he did not. I told him that I could not pass the final until I looked in the attic and so he went and got one from down the street in the construction trailer. Guess what...No insulation at all in the attic anywhere. No wonder there was no ladder.

I will climb ladders up to a point but I am not comfortable on a 40 footer. My boss knew this when he hired me and so far it has never been an issue. I have balance issues that give me fits and make me dizzy on a ladder but I am OK in a bucket. Go figure. I know that climbing a ladder is important for our jobs and I will climb most with no problems. Not climbing an eight footer is ridiculous.