• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Inspector won't climb the ladder.

Re: Inspector won't climb the ladder.

I actually had a contractor pull the ladders from the jobsite and left before I got there because I already failed him and he knew I was coming back after he was finished.

Little did he realize I would bring my own ladder to get up on the roof and fail him again.

Take your digital camera up, take some shots of what the expector wants to see, and show them to him.

Daddo-o, I know what you mean. I did a ceiling close-in inspection last month. 40' sissors lift and 30K sf. ft. later ... Very happy I was not running the lift! Extention ladders? Much beyond 20' I get a little shakey. I guess my age is catching-up with me. Step ladders are no problem. Yet! :lol:

Once I refused to, on a house that was all locked up, but left with a ladder going to a second story window, nobody around, ladder was iffy enough.

I left a note saying job not accessible.

You know, it just could be an insurance thing and out of the CBO control...the phone call will tell you.

Chris,

I once saw a blue healer go up an extension ladder lay down in the roof valley, then come down the ladder head first and go get the roofers keys out of the trucks ignition. I go up ladders if a dog can! :lol:

Well I'm with Daddy-O about balance. Most small ladders are ok the taller ones I will not climb up. Once the balance thing comes it's not time to retire it's more of being careful about your health.

When they were doing a 40 ft masonry wall I refused to climb the 24 ft ladder when I saw the skinney kid go up it and it bent about 2 ft out of plane. Talked to the contractor about it and he said it should be replaced :roll: but money was the object. :roll: Sent the special inspector up instead. When the engineer came out and started up the ladder I laughed when he wanted it replaced before he'd approve the work. Next time a brand new ladder was available.

We do an above ceiling inspection here and I would have had them pull more panels to see if that's the case.

If it was an existing grid, with existing tiles that some were removed to do the work .....I wouldn't have a problem and I would climb a ladder for the inspection. BUT, I've also arrived for an inspection and all the ceiling tiles were installed, I asked the contractor how I was supposed to inspect above the grid.....he stated he would open any place I needed to see.... I asked the contractor how I was supposed to know where to tell him to open the ceiling? Most of the good contractors around here will call and ask if they can start setting "Cuts", but leave the uncut, main areas open before inspection and most inspectors will agree to it. You get a much thorough inspection looking up from the ground, following pipe runs, wiring, ducts, etc., than spot checking areas with a flashlight and your head poked up the grid.........

chris kennedy said:
Meeting with him again Monday, let you know how it goes.
Same gentleman came out today and my two inspections went without a hitch. After the sign-offs we chatted about working in Miami twenty years ago for a good bit. Nice guy, ex-contractor.

So.......... did he climb the ladder or not?

Enquiring Minds want to know!

I once had a final roofing inspection at an 80yr old retired smoke-jumpers house, there was a ladder sitting on the front lawn, (our policy is to inspect just from the eave), I explained that to him and he looked at me w/ a puzzled look and repied, "Well, how the he77 are ya gonna inspect my dalm roof!", needless to say, I did get on the roof for the inspection. I find it nearly impossable to not get on the roof or in a lift for inspections, I would say I do all the time, every-time, but would probably get in trouble if anyone found out, so I won't say if I do or dont. :twisted:

We climb ladders as long as they're rated for a fat boy. As long as the contractor provides me or my staff a way to look at the work to be inspected we'll do the inspection.

"We climb ladders as long as they're rated for a fat boy."

Hey! I resemble that remark! :lol:

Were the ceiling tiles pulled out for the rough-in? You should have had the above ceiling rough-in inspected before the tiles were placed back in. You also should have asked the inspector if you could place back the ceiling tiles and provide a ladder for the inspection before you covered everything up.

For me it would depend on the size of the area being inspected, there might be obstacles like duct work that block the line of sight for the areas that need to be inspected.

Construction or work for which a permit is required shall be subject to inspection by the building official and such construction or work shall remain accessible and exposed for inspection purposes until approved.

:cry:

fatboy said:
"We climb ladders as long as they're rated for a fat boy."Hey! I resemble that remark! :lol:
Me too. That's why I put it that way. Anytime I climb a ladder I have to check and see what it's rated for before I climb on it. Only rated for 225 lbs wwon't work for me.

Being cautious not to run afoul of OSHA standards.

The Contractor is required to supply the ladders. They must be rated for weight of my inspectors and if its not or the ladder is too short it puts my inspector at risk.....he is prohibited from using it. Safety of my guys is my major concern before worrying about the inspection.

Welcome Paul

How did you find us??

I know one inspector that will not walk in mud