• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Inspector won't climb the ladder.

GCtony said:
So if a contractor expects his tradesmen to show up to a project with the proper tools and equipment in order to do his job, why is it that the same is not expected from the inspectors? Our policy is not to lend out tools and equipment for people to do thier jobs that they are getting paid to do but we'll provide anything an insector asks in order to get that inspection. Just saying
tony,

i appreciate your attitude for what it is ,but the code requires the person requesting an inspection to provide the means. I was inspecting refrigerant lines 25 feet in the air the other day and the contractor provide the motorized lift. Should i have rented a lift to do this inspection per Tony? I had an electrical contractor from the big city compliment me on my lumber rack with the 24" warner extension ladder strapped on yesterday. He said that is the first time he had seen an inspector with that set up. I told him that sometimes you just have to go beyond the call of duty:mrgreen:

Then you wont get the inspection. In Virginia the customer must provide specific items needed to conduct an inspection. No ladder when one is needed =no inspection....

Now we have things like testers and so on but things like ladders, harnesses where needed and so on...customer better have it covered....why...because my VCC says so.

There is a contractor that I encounter quite often that weighs 460#. He climbs ladders. The other day, I told him that I couldn't use a ladder that he had just climbed. He wondered why and said: "Hey, it held me." I said: "That's the problem."

DAEngelhart said:
We carry no ladders due to insurance reg's, but the same regs requires us to attend safety meetings that instruct us how to recognise a safe ladder that has been provided.
Welcome to the forum DAEnglehart.

We climb safe ladders and go into attics and crawl spaces. The contractor needs to supply what ever is required for an inspection. The one exception is sloped roofs. In that case we observe and direct the contracor to take digital photographs and inspect by them.