1. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Inspector you are thirty minutes late

Discussion in 'Contractor Talk' started by cda, May 8, 2016.

1. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

Oy very! Never ending excuses.

2. TheCommish

TheCommish Sawhorse

No I don't get a 90 minute lunch, just the time I expect to be held up in the office mid day

ICE and my250r11 like this.
  3. my250r11

my250r11 Sawhorse

Yep, checking messages and answering questions and sneak out the back between customers, sometimes 2pm before I get out in the pm.

4. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

Well it's seven months since I mentioned Ipads. I now have the Ipad....or I should say that my wife has it. I have been told that the Planning dept. gave Ipads to the field personnel who promptly gave them back.

Years ago there was an attempt at modernization that involved laptop computers. Ipads didn't exist but Oracle corp. did and my AHJ handed Oracle millions for a software program that would take us to the next level. It was suggested that i be a test pilot. I asked a few questions and never heard from the computer squad again.

I'm pretty sure that there was no refund from Oracle and now they have another hole in their pocket. Instead of attempting to help inspectors by initiating programs at the top of the food chain they should start with us.....let us tell them what we need. But no that's not the way it's done because all of the smart people are at the top.

Oh sure, they come around and form a committee to poke and prod....after they are too deep into it to have much success in tuning it up. Perhaps they know that had they started with the bottom feeders we would have chewed it up before it was built.

All those years ago the first question that I had was "is there a drop down menu of common corrections?" The answer was no. I asked if we could create one. The answer was no. Well then, look at these pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Among other mistakes, there is no protection from nails. So this is the correction, "provide nails plates to protect el. cable and conduit that is stapled or the edge of a hole is closer that 1 1/4" away from the face of the framing". I have to write that correction often. I can't just say, "protect the cable" because they won't know what I mean. And then there's the plumbing with 1" away and 1 1/2" past each side of the pipe. Sometimes these corrections require a drawing.

Hell's Bells it's 2020 and we still can't have a drop down menu. My phone has dozens.

#44 ICE, Jan 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    Msradell likes this.
  5. cda

cda Sawhorse

Yep agree

The systems are good for some things, but not others

I could see a system with a mix,,,,

Common violations

But

Also a stylist so you can write stuff

and all is saved in never never land

6. Paul Sweet

Paul Sweet Sawhorse

When I did plans review many moons ago I used Autocorrect to insert words or phrases for words I started with ` or ~ (right above the Tab key). Unfortunately Micro$oft changed the format for storing Autocorrect every time they put out a new version of MS Word, and by the third upgrade it was too much to retype the 100 or more phrases I had so I went back to typing the whole phrase.

7. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

So, how small is Carlton?

8. TheCommish

TheCommish Sawhorse

44 square miles, 14000 residences, 500 permit of various types and sizes, 80 new home a year some commercial projects.

Since the OP I now have an local inspector that does all the residential work, I do commercial and zoning, answer questions

fatboy likes this.