• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Instant water heater

cda

Sawhorse 123
I forgot the tech name

Tankless

Anyway not into irc, Ipc, IMC, ifgc,

But I was in a persons house today checking something else.

At the end he shows me a natural gas fired instant water heater in a bedroom closet.

Recently installed. For two bathrooms on other side of closet wall.

I asked about permits and inspection. He said he left everything to installer.

So closet has a door, but bedroom outside the door.

Legal to be in a bedroom closet???

I think it cannot be in the bedroom?

Last edited:
Bedroom closet = clothes storage? With a gas fired appliance? Doesn’t sound right.

Self closing, gasketed door to access the closet, all combustion air must come from outdoors.

Rinnai Tankless Water Heater Installation and Operation Manual

Combustible and/or flammable products and materials should never be stored in the vicinity of this or any gas appliance.

Confined Space (Closet)
A confined space is defined in the National Fuel Gas Code, ANSI Z223.1/NFPA 54 as "a space whose volume is less than 50 cubic feet per 1000 Btu/hr (4.8 m3 per kW per hour) of the aggregate input rating of all appliances installed in that space." Examples include a small room, closet, alcove, utility room, etc. A confined space must have two combustion air openings. Size the combustion air openings based on the BTU input for all gas utilization equipment in the space and the method by which combustion air is supplied.
There are also Clearances
clearances.png
https://www.rinnai.us/system/files/2018-05/100000504-N%20Series%20Commercial%20Condensing%20Installation%20and%20Operation%20Manual_2.pdf

Last edited:
Ok I guess I need to have a set down with the BO and see what his thoughts are.

I know the home owner relied on the installer. Not sure if the installer pulled any permits??

Ok I guess I need to have a set down with the BO and see what his thoughts are.

I know the home owner relied on the installer. Not sure if the installer pulled any permits??
Follow Manufacture's Instalation instructions

504.1 Location. Water heater installations in bedrooms and bathrooms shall be in accordance with one of the following [NFPA 54:10.28.1]:

1. Fuel-burning water heaters shall be permitted to be installed in a closet located in the bedroom or bathroom provided the closet is equipped with a listed, gasketed door assembly and a listed self-closing device. The self- closing door assembly shall meet the requirements of Section 504.1.1. The door assembly shall be installed with a threshold and bottom door seal and shall meet the requirements of Section 504.1.2. Combustion air for such installations shall be obtained from the outdoors in accordance with Section 506.4. The closet shall be for the exclusive use of the water heater.

2. Water heater shall be of the direct vent type. [NFPA 54:10.28.1(2)]

That can be a risky. I have found evidence that not all installation instructions are evaluated by a NRTL as part of listing.
Code says
2016 CPC 501.1 Applicability (IPC SIM)
"...No water heater shall be hereinafter installed that does not comply with the manufacturer's installation instructions..."

Does not say per testing agencies listing

Code says
2016 CPC 501.1 Applicability (IPC SIM)
"...No water heater shall be hereinafter installed that does not comply with the manufacturer's installation instructions..."

Does not say per testing agencies listing
That will be found elsewhere in the code. The reason I mentioned that has to do with code violations built into installation instructions that are not the installation instructions that were part of the listing. OR installation instructions were never included in the listing.

I have encountered both situations.

All I’m saying is pay close attention to the instructions and if you have questions....ask them. I have been surprised more than a few times.

Come to think about it, there’s been instructions with code violations that were the actual installation instructions that were evaluated by the NRTL.

Last edited:
That will be found elsewhere in the code. The reason I mentioned that has to do with code violations built into installation instructions that are not the installation instructions that were part of the listing. OR installation instructions were never included in the listing.

I have encountered both situations.

All I’m saying is pay close attention to the instructions and if you have questions....ask them. I have been surprised more than a few times.
;)

Yes, and manuf's instructions are general in nature and often lack specifity for a given state or AHJ.
They may not be up to date, given product shelf life.