• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

IPCC Official Reveals True Motive Behind Climate Change Movement

conarb said:
If you equate my desire to impose the values of freedom this country was founded upon, with a value system of confiscating the wealth of the first world and redistributing it to the third world as imposing my values on you, the answer is yes.
So, in your mind, the Climate Change Movement is about "confiscating the wealth of the first world and redistributing it to the third world"?

And that is why the Third world is fighting the global warming initiatives, does not make sense. Don Quixote.

DQWindmill.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark K said:
Think Conarb, are you trying to impose your values on me?
Mark, if I could respond to this: those of us who feel that there is fraud, sleight of hand, and alchemy involved in the Green Movement aren't trying to impose our values on you. We just don't want you imposing your will or your legislation on us. If you want to build a windmill in a wind zone where the payback is approximately 200 years after the warranty expires, go right ahead. Just use your own money, and not my tax dollars.

And build your hay bale houses until your heart's content; just don't tell me I have to live in one.

texasbo said:
Mark, if I could respond to this: those of us who feel that there is fraud, sleight of hand, and alchemy involved in the Green Movement aren't trying to impose our values on you. We just don't want you imposing your will or your legislation on us. If you want to build a windmill in a wind zone where the payback is approximately 200 years after the warranty expires, go right ahead. Just use your own money, and not my tax dollars. And build your hay bale houses until your heart's content; just don't tell me I have to live in one.
I have no legislation. I have no Agenda. I have never designed a windmill or a hay bale house, so none of those can be mine.

The photo above represents Don Quixote's fight against Imaginary enemies represented by windmills.

It’s an old story, but still relevant when it comes to Dick’s rantings.

I will kick in money if he wants to move to Texas....

Actually I am not trying to impose the green codes on anybody. I realize they are a fact of life and am trying to deal with them. Intelectually I recognize that there are environmental issues that we need to deal with.

Are games being played? The answer is yes both by the deniers who believe we need to do nothing and by the green fanatics that are imposing some feel good requirements.

I do believe that we need to start making changes now because of the time delay in seeing results. I recognize that there will be disruptions as a result of the needed changes. We need to do a better job of minimizing the impact of the disruptions but we can not expect to go back to the days of yesterday.

Because we live close to each other and our individual actions impact society as a whole, this is a sociatal problem that our government must deal with. I appreciate your concern about your tax dollars but consider that I am not wild about my tax dollars being spent in Iraq and Afganistan.

The third world will industrialize and they will make the environmental excesses of the 1800's and 1900's in the US look small in comparison unless we do something. These problems will impress us here at home.

My comments on imposing values was primarily meant to make the point that when you exist in a society like ours it is difficult if not impossible to have conflicts in values. Your desires to express your values will step on mine. It cannot be avoided. We need to learn to deal with change.

Regarding straw bale houses, I do not live in one and nobody is asking you to. Actually I doubt that they are very sustainable.

Mark K, well stated. I do agree that building practices need to change. Just not to the degree that the green leftist wackos are taking us.

The igcc is just one example of the extreme left. Anybody go the Charlotte? Watch the hearings on the iecc? Or go to some of the wine drinking, extended pinkie, nose up in the air type events that were held there. I did. Wow, what an eye opener. The rest of us are just a bunch of uneducated buffoons who need their guidance and they are gone to give it to us for our own collective good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually agree with parts of the "sustainable" part of green, we should build buildings that last and don't need to be continually replaced.

Voice of San Diego said:
Homeowners who paid in some cases more than a million dollars for condos in a pricey La Jolla enclave five years ago want their money back. So do a lot of people who bought new houses in 2005.

Instead of sawn wood or steel beams, Seahaus's skeleton is made of "parallel strand lumber" beams -- long strands of wood from small trees glued together to make beams. The homeowners' lawsuits allege that the developers knew the rainy winter of 2005 was exposing the buildings' frames to rain, that they knew the beams could become an unglued mushy mess.

"They told me everything was going to be top-of-the-line, it was going to be nice, it was going to be great," Alkasabi said. "But this place is full of nightmares."

Alkasabi said he was told before he bought that the structure would be framed with steel beams, not the strand lumber. The condos would be soundproof and top-of-the-line, he said.

Alkasabi said he's seen mushrooms grow out of stucco because of moisture inside. He refuses to walk under certain corridors. Inspectors found three colors of mold growing in his living room wall, he said.¹
1) What they are not saying, and don't know at this point in time, is that all WRBs become "overwhelmed" at some point and moisture enters the structure, moisture also enters the walls from the interior, particularly with residents who do a lot of steam or wok cooking, or residents who take a lot of showers, the structure doesn't have to get rained on during construction to show the kind of damage indicated.

2) The usage of engineered lumber is at times mandated by the Green Codes to "clean up the forest floor" as it was in this home addition, nobody wanted it, it was mandated on the "G" sheets.

Of course the public thinks the architects, engineers, and contractors who built these crummy condos should feel the wrath of the legal system, yet if they were only following the Green mandates should they?

¹ http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/housing/article_8a26ee30-7da9-11df-9cd4-001cc4c03286.html

texasbo said:
Mark, if I could respond to this: those of us who feel that there is fraud, sleight of hand, and alchemy involved in the Green Movement aren't trying to impose our values on you. We just don't want you imposing your will or your legislation on us. If you want to build a windmill in a wind zone where the payback is approximately 200 years after the warranty expires, go right ahead. Just use your own money, and not my tax dollars.And build your hay bale houses until your heart's content; just don't tell me I have to live in one.
AMEN! This nation is on the way to financial ruin and it isn't because we are too warm.

JPranch, post # 17 said, "The bunny huggers better be better armed. I hope that it never comes to that but if it dose please come to my front door. Then we will both know. God help me."

Do we really need to threaten our peers? How far has our state of discourse deteriorated to? If your point of view is not resonating, threatening someone with a gun is not going to convince them of the merits of your augment. If your point is to sound like a tough guy, that will not swing people to your side either. Can we all just play nice in the sand box?

I think my friend JP is merely pointing out that if he is forced to comply with something that, he should not in reasonble thinking comply with, then yes, the forces that be, better be packing. I agree. No different than our forefathers..........