• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

IRC 2009 Definitions

Re: IRC 2009 Definitions

TJacobs said:
Would you allow 3-hour fire-rated glazing :?: :roll:
Only if it was between a garage wall and a bedroom!

texas transplant said:
TJ and Mule,The last couple of pages of this thread are even better reading if you fill your coffee cup with bourbon. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm still cruising the web looking for a manufacturer of brick 3hour doors. :roll: :p
We won't. It is in the basement of one of those New York buildings. Ok, it was more then 3-hr rated but a brick door.

But, the magic drug (I mean fire-proofing) - called asbestos is no longer in use these days pretty much. We haven't made an equal to it in fire-protection properties, as of yet or have we?

If you install Z-brick on a fire door does it violate NFPA 80 and void the listing :?: :lol:

texas transplant said:
TJ and Mule,The last couple of pages of this thread are even better reading if you fill your coffee cup with bourbon. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm still cruising the web looking for a manufacturer of brick 3hour doors. :roll: :p
I like Bailey's in my java... :cool:

Rick said:

The reason for 3 hour rating if also for a reason if a person did pass out on the stairway because of smoke inhalation or whatever even though systems of venting the smoke out would be a part of design - it gives ample time and reasonable amount of protection so the person doesn't get burned alive. It is a concept mockup pic. Food for thought and the idea would be to get thoughts going and discussion. A house is a building.
I just sh!t down my leg. Seriously.

texasbo said:
Rick said:
The reason for 3 hour rating if also for a reason if a person did pass out on the stairway because of smoke inhalation or whatever even though systems of venting the smoke out would be a part of design - it gives ample time and reasonable amount of protection so the person doesn't get burned alive. It is a concept mockup pic. Food for thought and the idea would be to get thoughts going and discussion. A house is a building.
I just sh!t down my leg. Seriously.

Got everyone talking.

:D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Come on ya'll; stop it. I've been laughing so hard I'm crying and I'm having a hard time breathing.

Rick,

Don't listen to them; your design is way above and beyond minimum code requirements (way, way, way, way above and beyond); and therefore, outside their ability to comprehend.

Uncle Bob

TJ,

I think it works that if you put one layer of z-brick on one side of the door, you get a 1 1/2 hour rating and a layer on both sides gets you a 3-hour rating. :roll: :lol:

Oh by the way you said Bailey's in your coffee, this thread has switched me to straight bourbon in my coffee cup. :lol :lol:

Texasbo,

Join TJ and I, a little liquor makes this thread a blast. And you won't have those reactions if you tip a little.

I would not permit Z brick unless tested for the application.

FM: You are getting serious on a none serious thread!

Kil: the three hr rating is a little more then outside the box. It my qualify for outside the planet!

Ok, ya'll can stop drinking and go home now. You might want to stop by the package store and restock the office liquor cabinet.

And, be careful on those stairs to the attic bunker. :)

Uncle Bob

Rjj, Yea you know me Mr. Serious :D

UB,

Glad to see you online today. At first glance I thought you may have been flying through Austin this morning.

FM,

:lol: ; the guy looks a little like Packsaddle. Their going to use this to make small air craft file flight plans everytime they take off; like that would have stoped him. :roll:

I guess if he would have driven his car into the building they would want to require us to file GPS reports when we go to the grocery. There is a neat indoor play ground around the corner from that building on 183; where I used to take my daughter when she was little; and then there is the Arberitum (high end shoping area); not too far from there; I used to take her to when she was in her teens.

Did anyone notice in some of the close-up shots; that the soil was being washed out from under the foundation? Gotta love that "compacted fill?" they use under the foundations.

Every time something happens; they tighten up on our rights. Next we will have to wear watches with GPS so they can track where we go; and our vehicles won't start if we aren't wearing the watch.

People don't kill people; air planes do.

Uncle Bob

UB said:

People don't kill people; air planes do.
I went straight from architecture school to Pensacola, Florida based on that promise.

That building would have suffered no damage whatsoever (other than a pleasing distressed patina) if it had 3 hour reinforced concrete exterior walls and brick doors. Did you guys see the news footage of them pulling the unconscious guy from the stairwell? He'd sucked in a little smoke despite the ventilation system, but otherwise was none the worse for wear; partied like it was 1999 on 6th Street two hours later.

And all this time we've been kidding around with our friend Rick...

Every time something happens; they tighten up on our rights. Next we will have to wear watches with GPS so they can track where we go; and our vehicles won't start if we aren't wearing the watch.
UB,

Already there since 74% (2006 data) of our population uses cellular phones. The big eye in the sky is watching ;)