• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Is a Brewery used for a "similar purpose" as a kitchen?

steveray said:
Our code has no provisions for accessible egress in existing buildings
mtlogcabin said:
1007.1 Accessible means of egress required.Accessible means of egress shall comply with this section. Accessible spaces shall be provided with not less than one accessible means of egress . Where more than one means of egress are required by Section 1015.1 or 1021.1 from any accessible space, each accessible portion of the space shall be served by not less than two accessible means of egress .

Exceptions:

1. Accessible means of egress are not required in alterations to existing buildings
It all depends on what code revisions in your local area is under and what local alterations to the codes have been made. However if you look at the federal ADA regulations and not strictly the building codes existing buildings have to spend up to 20% of the cost of any revisions making accessibility improvements. I'm guessing that the total cost of renovation for this building is going to be huge so that would give you an awful lot of money that would be required to be spent for accessibility issues. Disregarding code issues for a minute, I certainly don't like the fact that the only accessible exit is so close to the gas meter and the street. A car into the gas meter could cause a major problem for exit from the building.

In addition while section 1007.1 allows an exception chapter 34 doesn't for a change of use of the building which is obviously is.

3411.4.2 Complete change of occupancy.

Where an entire building undergoes a change of occupancy, it shall comply with Section 3411.4.1 and shall have all of the following accessible features:

1. At least one accessible building entrance.

2. At least one accessible route from an accessible building entrance to primary function areas.

3. Signage complying with Section 1110.

4. Accessible parking, where parking is being provided.

5. At least one accessible passenger loading zone, when loading zones are provided.

6. At least one accessible route connecting accessible parking and accessible passenger loading zones to an accessible entrance.

Where it is technically infeasible to comply with the new construction standards for any of these requirements for a change of group or occupancy, the above items shall conform to the requirements to the maximum extent technically feasible.

Exception: The accessible features listed in Items 1 through 6 are not required for an accessible route to Type B units.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 20% rule is written throughout the I-Codes

Accessible entrance and accessible egress are two separate and distinct code requirements

Read the section you quoted. No where is an accessible egress required in addition to the accessible entrance which as steveray pointed out is an accessible egress by default

in other words an existing building may require two exits however both are not required to be accessible

Chris,

There has been lots of conversation regarding the exiting issues that you have. These issues can be solved in a manner that will allow the brewing process to be much more efficient. Your first layout is far better from a brewing perspective. The last layout is great from an exiting perspective. We have over 100 breweries in our county and see this all the time. The typical solution would be to use movable barriers to define the exit path. That way during actual brewing activities the barriers are removed and brewing can take place using the entire area. This is much more conducive to brewing, keg washing/filling and cleaning. Where you have noted "paint stripes to define exit path" would be the location to provide barriers. I have seen any number of solutions to this. From pallets that have been manipulated to become fences to custom metal structures that also double as drink rails. Only during actual brewing is there any consideration that you are exiting thru an area that is similar to a kitchen. Typically your just waiting around for fermentation and you have vessels of beer sitting there and there is no concern regarding exiting. This allows your customers to see the brewhouse and vessels unobstructed by walls. Tours of these areas are much easier.

couple other observations. I am guessing a 10 bbl system. first plan allows for grain storage near the mill, auger run is longer but no worries. I would move mill closer to the fermentor to free up more grain storage and reduce auger run unless you are anticipating a future vessel there. There is plenty of space below the brewhouse for water filtration. I do not see a cold or hot liquor tank? combi vessel on brewhouse? Make sure that keg washer is on wheels as your grain out path looks very tight. I would check with your brewer if he is set on a steam brewhouse, a direct fired brewhouse will save lots of room for the boiler. Good luck! do not let the exiting drive this.

The one thing I do not understand are the stairs up to exit, but an adjacent rollup door? is the rollup door at dock height?

JPohling said:
Chris,There has been lots of conversation regarding the exiting issues that you have. These issues can be solved in a manner that will allow the brewing process to be much more efficient. Your first layout is far better from a brewing perspective. The last layout is great from an exiting perspective. We have over 100 breweries in our county and see this all the time. The typical solution would be to use movable barriers to define the exit path. That way during actual brewing activities the barriers are removed and brewing can take place using the entire area. This is much more conducive to brewing, keg washing/filling and cleaning. Where you have noted "paint stripes to define exit path" would be the location to provide barriers. I have seen any number of solutions to this. From pallets that have been manipulated to become fences to custom metal structures that also double as drink rails. Only during actual brewing is there any consideration that you are exiting thru an area that is similar to a kitchen. Typically your just waiting around for fermentation and you have vessels of beer sitting there and there is no concern regarding exiting. This allows your customers to see the brewhouse and vessels unobstructed by walls. Tours of these areas are much easier.

couple other observations. I am guessing a 10 bbl system. first plan allows for grain storage near the mill, auger run is longer but no worries. I would move mill closer to the fermentor to free up more grain storage and reduce auger run unless you are anticipating a future vessel there. There is plenty of space below the brewhouse for water filtration. I do not see a cold or hot liquor tank? combi vessel on brewhouse? Make sure that keg washer is on wheels as your grain out path looks very tight. I would check with your brewer if he is set on a steam brewhouse, a direct fired brewhouse will save lots of room for the boiler. Good luck! do not let the exiting drive this.

The one thing I do not understand are the stairs up to exit, but an adjacent rollup door? is the rollup door at dock height?
I agree somewhat and disagree somewhat

There could be blcoakge of the exit way at any time, even during non brewing times.

I was also thinkning maybe the sliding barn doors, but no guarranty they would be closed?

That's really more of a housekeeping issue. Just because you create a corridor does not mean it will not become cluttered with items that would impede exiting, we see that all the time. The critical issue is you do not want to hamstring the brewing process by building permanent barriers that are not needed. Typically brewing is done during off hours of the tasting room. A brewery of this size may brew 2-3 times per week tops. that's 8-12 hours. The rest of the time the exit is defined by barriers and is free to access the second exit required by the tasting room.

JPohling said:
7 bbl, actually. It is a Combi-system so the HLT is under the mash/lauter vessel. No dedicated CLT, however there will be an inline glycol heat exchanger chiller to help out with water temperatures during hot months. I prefer steam over direct fire so that kettle, MLT, and HLT can all be heated from the same source, and I won't need to worry about additional fire rated walls other than the mechanical room.

The auger run is actually a bigger issue with the updated layout because it is too short! I would need an upgraded auger system to make the steep run.

JPohling said:
Yeah, there is about an 8' foot long ramp heading up the 18 or so inches to alley height. It takes up about the space of the door when it is overhead, space that wouldn't be used anyway, so the only challenge is pushing spent grain up that fairly steep grade.

I personally like the idea of movable dividers. But after looking at the new layout for a while, I kinda dig it. Everything (but the cooler) is on the same side as the overhead door, and I think that will save a lot of frustration in the long run. I am going to put in some windows along the corridor so people can gawk. But I don't expect to give a great deal of tours.

Chris, I would suggest looking at a chain and disc grain delivery system in that case rather than an auger. I have really embraced them. I agree steam is the way to go for consistency. Cheers

JPohling said:
That's really more of a housekeeping issue. Just because you create a corridor does not mean it will not become cluttered with items that would impede exiting, we see that all the time. The critical issue is you do not want to hamstring the brewing process by building permanent barriers that are not needed. Typically brewing is done during off hours of the tasting room. A brewery of this size may brew 2-3 times per week tops. that's 8-12 hours. The rest of the time the exit is defined by barriers and is free to access the second exit required by the tasting room.
"""The critical issue is you do not want to hamstring the brewing process by building permanent barriers that are not needed. """

You got that right. I don't want to mess up my invite to the first tapping!

JPohling said:
"""The critical issue is you do not want to hamstring the brewing process by building permanent barriers that are not needed. """

You got that right. I don't want to mess up my invite to the first tapping!