• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Is an electrical permit required?

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Let’s say, hypothetically, that you had to replace the automatic transfer switch for a generator for a high-rise. In doing so, you decided that you were going to make the existing generator a junction box and install a brand new automatic transfer a switch in a new location. Would this work on a 480 V system require a permit in your jurisdiction?
DC7E6577-8B55-49FD-ADB7-24972F085819.jpeg5608AC8D-7EFD-4A9F-910F-5AA100A6F686.jpeg

Yes. Right after passing plan check.

Looks like this is ready for a recycling center.

5608AC8D-7EFD-4A9F-910F-5AA100A6F686 2.jpeg

Looking sorta outdoorsy there....is that a 3R cabinet with rain tight top entries?:cool:

DC7E6577-8B55-49FD-ADB7-24972F085819.jpeg

Last edited:
Permit for the new work, yes
Using the old cabinet as a junction box?

Is the TS emergency or legally required or standby? At the point of a new relocated switch, I am sure we would require the loads to be separated....NEC 700.10B

A couple details Jeff failed to mention;

Job was done by the company I work for

The building where the work was preformed is next to the bldg dept
(Jeff’s office)

Jeff and I personally visited the site prior to the work being preformed

Article 100, Cabinet definition: An enclosure that is designed for either surface mounting or flush mounting and is provided with a frame, mat, or trim in which a swinging door or doors are or can be hung.

Also see definition of Cutout boxes.

Art. 312
312.1 thru 312.8
Need adequate space

A couple details Jeff failed to mention;

Job was done by the company I work for

The building where the work was preformed is next to the bldg dept
(Jeff’s office)

Jeff and I personally visited the site prior to the work being preformed
So is this discussion because the 2 of you disagree?

Romex has other uses.
1) A belt when your's breaks on the job
2) Finger splint with electrical tape
3) Tie for a bundle of wires
4) Make a hook on one end to retrive your keys from a drain
5)

Romex has other uses.
1) A belt when your's breaks on the job
2) Finger splint with electrical tape
3) Tie for a bundle of wires
4) Make a hook on one end to retrive your keys from a drain
5)
All of which Chris taught me. After all, they don't call him the Romex King for nothing.

Not at all. Why our office didn’t pull a permit is beyond me.
If you were replacing or upgrading the Main Breaker in same cabinet ( as opposed to the Transfer Switch) would you need to get a Permit?
BUT
It seems that when you move the device, someone needs to verify that the access Rules, working space etc needs to be verified ( i.e. Inspected and therefore a Permit is required because an Inspection is needed