• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Large generator serving 12 story assisted living installed 10 from property line, 13 feet from my front porch

exhausted

The code allowing a huge generator and diesel exhaust pipe 10 from property line, 13 feet from residence front porch is nothing less than crazy. I have read many articles about this exhaust, very toxic to health no matter how long or how many times it is run for testing. There is not one time that should be allowed, it is like Russian Roulette with particles being inhaled. This is a very large Cummins generator, have read it gets very hot, and 600 degrees would not be out of the ordinary, would the ICM 511.2 apply to get the exhaust up over the building? Also, ICM 510.2 hazardous exhaust system requires when emission is toxic and category 1, what does this mean? I am trying to get this generator and exhaust out of my front yard. Please not generator and pipe in left portion of picture. They place the generator in their front yard of this building, what kind of architect does this?

Attachments

• 721.JPG
    721.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 13
I am sure you were upset when you saw the EMERGENCY Generator appear on your Neighbor's Property. But is it Not just that, An Emergency Generator that produces products of combustion just like any other gas or diesel engine? Like your own car?

I guess a "Heads Up" from your neighbor would have been Nice, but I suspect he didn't think it was a big deal for something that will only need to be used in an emergency loss of Power.

Are you over reacting? I would be jealous. Maybe the answer is to get an even larger one and let him know how you felt when he installed his

It does not seem possible that a huge generator and exhaust pipe can be located 10 feet from property line, and then have toxic emissions all over your yard, building, windows, doors, so close by. This is not safe. How can this be? Whom do I address about this?

My property is a 1923 built 4 plex, the neighbor is a newly built 12 story assisted living. The generator that was installed is enormous. It is turned on for testing several times a month, that is a lot of noise, odor, emissions, the emissions are what bothers me most, I am very familiar with breathing problems, this should not be allowed to have the emissions in my yard, my building. They do not stop at 10 feet. My tenants are older they will not tolerate this.

My property is a 1923 built 4 plex, the neighbor is a newly built 12 story assisted living. The generator that was installed is enormous. It is turned on for testing several times a month, that is a lot of noise, odor, emissions, the emissions are what bothers me most, I am very familiar with breathing problems, this should not be allowed to have the emissions in my yard, my building. They do not stop at 10 feet. My tenants are older they will not tolerate this.
So the old folks at the new assisted living are also having breathing problems when the generator is being tested to verify it will work when needed?

Would you be happy if they installed a sound barrier to intercept some of the Noise, Or maybe some Bushes? to buffer the noise

Talk to an attorney and likely an architect.

What laws are being violated?

It is not clear that this is a building code issue.

Isn't this the same issue you already have a lnghty discussion going about?

Has anything changed since the first time you asked about this issue?

In the other discussion you started about this issue, a number of people pointed out that if the installation meets code requirements, there is nothing an inspector can do about it. In the photo you have provided in THIS iteration of the question, I don't see where the exhaust outlet is located. All I see is a masonry box with louvers to allow air to circulate around what I presume is a generator inside the enclosure.

Is the chain link fence ON the property line? How far is the generator enclosure (the brick box) from the property line? Where is the exhaust pipe outlet? How far is that from the property line?

All you have done is enlarge the photo that was originally posted. I see no exhaust from the masonry block that appears to be the generator enclosure. Are you suggesting that the round duct coming out of the main building is the generator exhaust? If so -- how do you know that?
I'm thinking that you haven't had a chill pill in a while.

I'm thinking that you haven't had a chill pill in a while.

I think we have long since determined that you take a much more flexible approach to code enforcement than I do. That, however, doesn't mean that my eyes don't work. Looking at that photo, I see in the left foreground a low, masonry enclosure with louvers in at least the two side walls visible to us. That looks a lot like it may be a generator enclosure.

Behind that I see a building, with a pipe/duct/tube coming out of it and running horizontally at a height of approximately 10 to 12 feet above the sidewalk. I have no idea what that is, but it doesn't come out of what appears to be a generator enclosure.

I think we have long since determined that you take a much more flexible approach to code enforcement than I do.
Well thanks, I appreciate that.

I don't understand what got you going this morning. First you chew out the hapless homeowner and now you don't like me. All I did was enlarge the picture so that everyone can get a better perspective. I didn't wild ass guess as to what anything might be.

721.JPG

Last edited:
In the other discussion you started about this issue, a number of people pointed out that if the installation meets code requirements, there is nothing an inspector can do about it. In the photo you have provided in THIS iteration of the question, I don't see where the exhaust outlet is located. All I see is a masonry box with louvers to allow air to circulate around what I presume is a generator inside the enclosure.

Is the chain link fence ON the property line? How far is the generator enclosure (the brick box) from the property line? Where is the exhaust pipe outlet? How far is that from the property line?
Yes, this is the same situation, my post as of yesterday was (a) since this has emissions at least 600 degrees, this is required to be in a chimney 511.2 ICM, and it is not, and since the emissions are deemed toxic and hazardous to health a category 1 health hazard, the exhaust system is required to be hazardous equipped system, what does that entail?
No, i did not take my chill pill, and no I am not over reacting. These emissions are highly toxic, and there are many reports to that, and they do not stay in the yard where the big metal pipe is along the side of the building in the picture, that is temporary I understand, but it is reported to be moved about 3 feet over stubbed out the front brick wall along with 3 other pipes. The chain link fence is mine, the temporary pipe (metal) is 8.2 feet from the property line, the masonry generator enclosure is 10 feet from property line.
They moved all of this far from their facility, and landed it at my front yard, not fair, not ethical.

The pipe and generator were placed based on ICM 503.1 10 feet from property line, that is the code that should be disputed. This needs to be far from 10 feet from property line, the emissions do not stop at 10 feet, the noise does not stop at 10 feet, the odor does not stop at 10 feet. I have a residential building 13-15 feet from this, Of course this is a problem to me.
How would you like this at your front yard?

I don't understand what got you going this morning. First you chew out the hapless homeowner and now you don't like me. All I did was enlarge the picture so that everyone can get a better perspective. I didn't wild ass guess as to what anything might be.

I didn't chew out the hapless homeowner. This is the second thread he has opened on this same problem. He hasn't provided any more information in this one than he did in the other one. The consensus the first time around was that inspectors only enforce the code, and if he doesn't have anything to indicate that the installation doesn't meet code, he shouldn't expect a building inspector to reject something he (the OP) doesn't like.

So here we are, discussing the same issue with no new information. The answer, IMHO, is the same: if it meets code, the inspectors can't do anything about it.

You are correct, I understand the inspector has to follow whatever the code provides. I had three new questions pertaining to this, chimney requirement per 600 degree temperature requiring roof termination, hazard exhaust system what is that, and finding the code relied upon and is totally unsafe to neighbor, how is this disputed and to whom?

It does not seem possible that a huge generator and exhaust pipe can be located 10 feet from property line, and then have toxic emissions all over your yard, building, windows, doors, so close by. This is not safe. How can this be? Whom do I address about this?
I want to make sure I understand this correctly: do you think the exhaust is #1, or somewhere in the area of #2?

IMG_3930.jpeg

You posted this same issue a month ago on a building forum, and you beat it to death. You were told many times that, as long as it meets every code item, there’s not much that can be done about it.

You are correct, I understand the inspector has to follow whatever the code provides. I had three new questions pertaining to this, chimney requirement per 600 degree temperature requiring roof termination, hazard exhaust system what is that, and finding the code relied upon and is totally unsafe to neighbor, how is this disputed and to whom?
Exhausted, everyone understands that you are distressed at the inconvenient placement of this EMERGENCY GENERATOR.
A SAFETY REQUIREMENT that is only used for an extended period of time in an EMERGENCY. The reliability of this needs to be verified on a schedule. Do you suggest that this unit not be installed or tested because it disturbs your peace and quiet?

Compare the testing of this unit to standing on a busy corner with truck and auto traffic. Is the operation of this unit more or less of a health concern? You are not in a garage with the door closed.

Given the nature of limited activities of some of your older tenants, might the opportunity of having to "deal" with this infrequent situation have a positive aspect, in that it gives them something to talk or even complain about? HMMMM maybe not all bad having their Peace and quiet disturbed on occasion.

Maybe you can check with your neighbor and schedule a Fire Drill the same time they test their generator. Is this not an opportunity in disguise

Last edited:
Ok so it tool me about 2 hours trying to Google search this photo and found out that it was also posted with the same story on an engineering forum. After an exhaustive search, I found this 4 unit apartment building in Dallas, Texas sandwiched between two large commercial properties. The apartment building now looks out of place in this PD zoning district.

While I can understand the frustration of the resident, there are minimum codes in effect that must be adhered to. Right now, I don't think anyone knows what the actual pipes are and where the actual exhaust is for the generator. That may take some more digging.

In the mean time the OP should be reaching out to the Building Official for verification that this meets the requirements of the adopted codes in Dallas, Texas.

For the specifics of the Dallas Texas Mechanical Code, you can see their Mechanical amendments here: https://dallascityhall.com/departme...ts/pdf/code_amendments/2021_codes/23-0470.pdf

If you read, I believe the intent is flammable fumes, not simply fumes, when it comes to the 30' rule. Read for yourself.

On a side note, the property taxes for this building is very high by any state standards. The land is way more valuable than the improvement and I believe the property on either side would be happy to purchase it to gain some more space. I would not want to live in that apartment building.

Here is some more perspective on this situation.

Screenshot 2024-03-03 at 10.37.43.png

Screenshot 2024-03-03 at 10.39.53.png

Screenshot 2024-03-03 at 10.45.57.png