• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Looking to have a shop building built.

Sounds a bit expensive.

You need to decide first what city you want this in!

And you still sound like you think you can put it on a residential lot.

What you are proposing, will get involved and cost some more money.

Decide on a city and go have a face to face with them, so you get a better picture of what is involved.

He gave me a price based on that city. Yes you're right it needs to be commercially zoned.

consider an Ag property with an old barn?
How tall do you want it to be?
Goggle metal buildings, there are many modular buildings available.
As to lot size, FAR (floor area ratio) will control how large a lot you need.
100K doesn't seem out of reason depending on interior finishes, plumbing, elec., hvac you may require.

Reactions: cda
consider an Ag property with an old barn?
How tall do you want it to be?
Goggle metal buildings, there are many modular buildings available.
As to lot size, FAR (floor area ratio) will control how large a lot you need.
100K doesn't seem out of reason depending on interior finishes, plumbing, elec., hvac you may require.

Yep and trees, and parking spaces, and bathrooms, and masonry finish, and exterior lighting, and and and and and and

I like your idea. Buy a property with a building on it then maybe just add on to what's there. Dealing with the government their is no telling what it would cost because they pretty much have you by the balls once you start building.

They are looking out for you Eddie, even if you choose not too (smiling).
Will it be insured? they may have some concerns too.

I understand. I do have one more question. What if it's a lot with no deed restrictions? Does it still need to be on a commercial lot then? I find it hard to believe that people went out and spent $200-$300,000 just so they can have a building to store a bunch if junk and work on a hobby.

Either they are rich, rent, or other.

The city does not care, it is still a commercial design, and has to meet all city requirements::

""What if it's a lot with no deed restrictions? Does it still need to be on a commercial lot then?"""

So start picking out what trees you like.

I may look into something outside city limits. Maybe they have less restrictions. I can buy a couple acres for a lot less money. Like $50k.

Was riding in the car with the family today coming home from Christmas dinner. Looking out the car window we have tons of metal warehouse style buildings around me just down the road. I think I'm going to just wait and see what comes up for sale that will work for me. That way I already will know what it cost for the building with no surprises and will know the property tax cost. Looks like I'll be going over my 100k budget, but that's okay. I think something built 10 or 20 years ago will probably be more solid than anything you can buy today, plus probably cheaper too factoring the cost of concrete these days.