• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Mailboxes

Thank you for that correction. What I meant to say is that "not all of the mailboxes need to be between 15"-48" per FHA."
FHA allows side approach clearances between 9-56".
Depends which safe harbor you're using. Most jurisdictions I am familiar with are using ANSI A117.1-2009 as the local accessibility code which has 48" max reach.

I'm in California. Our state jurisdiction does not directly incorporate ANSI A117.1.

We use CBC 11A for private housing which is based on FHA, but is more stringent in several aspects.
FHA side reach range is 9"-56", but Calif. 11A (fig 11A-1J) side reach range is 15"-48" like ADA.

For public housing, we use CBC 11B which is based on ADA.