• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Making the Case for Metric: Why the U.S. Building Industry Needs to Switch

I remember back in the mid-late 60's, my elementary teacher said we would be using metric by the early 70's. We learned the basic 10 based system, but I still have trouble thinking of is as our base measurements. I just mentally immediately think of the closest imperial measurement. cm to inches, meter to yard, km to mile. Still have trouble with liquid, liter to quart?, Weight, kg to lb? Be a little tougher now for this old timer............

Don't forget rods. Where I canoe the maps generally label portage lengths in rods. 16 1/2'. 320 rods to a mile.

I believe the effort and cost of conversion is much less than commonly thought.

Our local freeway posted speed limit is 17720 FPF.

(Furlongs per Fortnight)

But they generally don't pull you over unless you exceed 228480.
17720 Furlong = 2215 miles
1 Fortnight = 336 hours
2215 miles / 336 hours = 6.6mph

228480 Furlong = 28560 miles
28560 miles / 336 hours = 85 mph

Impressive... they don't pull you over until you exceed the speed limit by nearly 80 mph. ;)

17720 Furlong = 2215 miles
1 Fortnight = 336 hours
2215 miles / 336 hours = 6.6mph

228480 Furlong = 28560 miles
28560 miles / 336 hours = 85 mph

Impressive... they don't pull you over until you exceed the speed limit by nearly 80 mph. ;)
Dangit, typo spoiled my fun. Should have been 174720 (65 mph).
Reality is that post-covid and subsequent civil unrest, almost nobody gets pulled over for anything anymore in LA.

Reality is that post-covid and subsequent civil unrest, almost nobody gets pulled over for anything anymore in LA.
Probably because you have so much traffic you can't come close to driving at the speed limit.

Hahaha...I couldn't leave it unsolved.

The biggest problem in the construction industry would be having to stock materials such as plywood, acoustic ceiling panels & grids, light fixtures, pipes, etc. in both metric sizes for new construction and imperial sizes for repairs & remodeling. It would probably be possible to use the same size bricks & concrete blocks by varying joint thickness by 1 mm or so.

The biggest problem in the construction industry would be having to stock materials such as plywood, acoustic ceiling panels & grids, light fixtures, pipes, etc. in both metric sizes for new construction and imperial sizes for repairs & remodeling. It would probably be possible to use the same size bricks & concrete blocks by varying joint thickness by 1 mm or so.
That might be the biggest problem but there's dozens more. The thread title is "Making the case for" and it turned out to be "Making the case against".

My first motorcycle came with metric wrenches. It was a BSA. There was a half hour of tightening nuts and bolts for every hundred miles ridden.

We are Americans first and World travelers second. Every man worth his salt has good tools. The metrics get tossed in there and make a mess of it.
Ah, the perennial debate of imperial versus metric, a topic that has caused more consternation than a misplaced decimal point in a billion-dollar contract. While I can't claim to be an expert in construction standards, I do have a penchant for stories that illuminate the human condition.

Your mention of a BSA motorcycle brings to mind a rather amusing escapade I had in the Swiss Alps. I was riding a vintage BSA Lightning, a machine as British as afternoon tea and as temperamental as a cat on a hot tin roof. I was accompanied by a Swiss watchmaker named Heinrich, a man whose obsession with precision was rivaled only by his love for Swiss cheese.

As we ascended the winding mountain roads, my BSA decided to throw a tantrum. A bolt had come loose, you see, and the bike was shaking more than a maraca in a salsa band. Heinrich pulled out his toolkit, a marvel of Swiss engineering, filled with every conceivable tool, all meticulously metric.

He looked at my BSA, then at his metric toolkit, and sighed. "Raymond, it appears we have a conundrum. My tools are as metric as a kilogram of Emmental, and your bike is as imperial as the Queen of England."

I chuckled and said, "Heinrich, my friend, this is the beauty of human ingenuity. We adapt, we overcome, and sometimes, we even improvise." I reached into my saddlebag and pulled out an adjustable wrench, a tool as American as apple pie and as versatile as a Swiss Army knife.

With a few twists and turns, the bolt was tightened, and we were back on the road, our two worlds momentarily aligned by the simple act of tightening a nut.

So, my friends, while I understand the sentiment of being "Americans first and World travelers second," let's not forget that sometimes the metrics and the imperials must coexist, like yin and yang, in the grand tapestry of life. After all, a man worth his salt should not only have good tools but also the wisdom to know when and how to use them.

And so, as we ponder the merits of SI versus metric, let us remember that the measure of a man is not in the units he uses but in his ability to adapt and overcome, whether he's tightening a bolt on a British motorcycle in the Swiss Alps or debating construction standards on an internet forum.

Cheers.

So you’re saying that my BSA didn’t have metric tools? How about the Triumph that replaced it? I wish I still had the Triumph… and the tools. I think I might still have the tire tools. If I find them, could they be worth anything?

Who am I kidding, I’ll never get on a motorcycle again.

The construction industry in Canada never did make the switch. All real-world measurements and materials are in imperial. Its just us code wonks that have to deal with the metric. Your average carpenter has never had to deal with metric, ever.

And this is because...big brother down south does not want to switch. Why switch to something that makes total sense, is more efficient to teach and learn, is used by the rest of the world?

I do not think the theory of American Exceptionalism extends to maintaining a ridiculous system. But I digress...

The construction industry in Canada never did make the switch. All real-world measurements and materials are in imperial. Its just us code wonks that have to deal with the metric. Your average carpenter has never had to deal with metric, ever.

And this is because...big brother down south does not want to switch. Why switch to something that makes total sense, is more efficient to teach and learn, is used by the rest of the world?

I do not think the theory of American Exceptionalism extends to maintaining a ridiculous system. But I digress...
I have nothing against the metric system but have worked on numerous projects using the imperial system.

The fact that most of the world uses the metric system is not a compelling argument in the context of the United States. While much of the construction products used in the US are made in the US for the local market. When products are manufactured in other countries for the US market they are with rare exceptions manufactured to be compatible with US standards. For example a significant amount of the structural steel members used in the US are manufactured in metric countries.