• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Man charged for head-butting a building inspector

mark handler

SAWHORSE
Milwaukee man charged with felony battery after allegedly head-butting a Lannon building inspector
https://www.jsonline.com/story/comm...nty-building-inspector-head-butted/724877002/
A 57-year-old Milwaukee man was charged Tuesday, June 19, in Waukesha County Circuit Court with felony battery to a county employee after he allegedly head-butted a Waukesha County building inspector in the village of Lannon last month.
David Janczak was a worker at a home under construction when building inspector Bob Blankenheim paid a visit to the site and asked Janczak about the stonework they were doing, according to the criminal complaint.
Janczak became aggressive and verbally abusive and chest-bumped Blankenheim, the complaint said.
As this went on, Blankenheim pulled out his phone to call police, which is when Janczak allegedly head-butted Blankenheim, knocking off his Bluetooth headset in the process.
Lannon Police Chief Kevin Porter said Janczak was still belligerent when he arrived on the scene. The criminal complaint describes Janczak allegedly threatening to find out where Blankenheim lived and to run into Porter when he was off duty, implying that if it was Milwaukee, Porter would be "ground up in the street."
Janczak has also been charged with a misdemeanor of disorderly conduct. Janczak's initial appearance in court is scheduled for July 2.
If found guilty of both counts, Janczak could face up to 3½ years for battery and up to 90 days for disorderly conduct. He could also be fined up to $11,000 for the two charges.
Janczak has three prior felonies in Milwaukee County. Two occurred in 2004 for driving a vehicle without the owner's consent and fleeing or eluding an officer in a vehicle. Janczak was also pleaded guilty in 2007 for a 2003 burglary of the Pass It On Club, a Milwaukee addiction recovery center.

The last time a person got physical with me I called the Sheriff dispatcher. She sent two Iowa corn fed bruisers. They told me that they have dealt with him before. They got there quick and each went in with a ten cell flashlight. I went to my next inspection and didn't hear any more about it.

So 3 1/2 years plus 90 days for physically assaulting a public employee? That's not much of a punishment..

Wouldn't have helped in the above situation but I'm lucky here, in a way - on every code enforcement call where I have to knock on a door, I take a cop with me. Small town, enough officers to go around, it isn't a big deal. But in a bigger town, where there aren't enough officers/they're busy all the time? I don't think those departments have the guys (gals) to send to every CE complaint. But you're supposed to go there and knock on the door? And defend yourself if the resident gets physical, with an ink pen and a clip board? Not me..

Sure, the thing to do is leave. But what happens when things escalate before you can get gone? I know what the answer should be, but that's not the world today.

We will double up with the Code Enforcement guys, but ones we know have criminal history we call dispatch for an officer or 2. We are allowed to carry concealed but our policy is strict and it doesn't allows deescalate the situation. It has stopped a lot of problems, since now the public thinks we all carry.

Its not just our dept., all municipal employees that have a conceal permit can carry went into effect Jan. this year.

Some years before I was hired, inspectors had badges. A badge could increase the level of
respect shown to inspectors.

Last edited:
I have one but don't/won't wear it. Just my opinion of course, but nothing good can come from carrying a badge if you're not a cop.

I was issued a hand me down cop car for a short time (crown vic). I would pull up to the jobsite and several times workers quickly ran into the woods. On one job as I walked in I heard "what are the cops here for" and I just about got ran over by one guy headed for the hills as fast as he could go (he actually was known by me to be a criminal). Went to the same job a few days later and I asked if he had came back after I left - they said no he never came back nor the next day or the next - they suspected that he was once again in jail!

I would like a gun for those times I have found fresh bear sign on the sites.

After wearing a badge in the fire service, I was always nervous when we had to be at work at the station at 645 am. The gas stations between my house and work were in bad parts of town and it was always an adventure when you climbed out of your car to pump gas.....Had a gun pulled on me once then the guy said sorry thought you were a cop --- reported to police - nothing ever happened with it.

$ ~ $

Just curious here, but how many of you that actually carry
a concealed heater, would actually fire on someone
when a situation has escalated to a confrontational point ?
Would you just draw and fire, ...draw and warn, ...draw and
leave, other ?

In some jurisdictions, yeah it is coming to this !

$ ~ $

If you conceal carry the last thing you ever want to do is show the fire arm if there is not a serious threat to your or someone else's physically. Just showing a firearm can have many charges filed against you in many states. You should be well trained in the laws of your state along with how to use a firearm in various self defense situations prior to ever carrying one.
I also recommend you carry insurance for firearm carry

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com

$ ~ $

leave, other ?

$ ~ $
See post #3.
The questions seems to follow the lines of Hollywood myths and wannabes.

Training: never shoot any living being to maim or injure, or fire a warning shot unless you are certain hitting your target and what's behind it.

$ ~ $

leave, other ?

$ ~ $

That's a question anyone who carries should hope to never have to answer in real life. And no one can really answer it until they are in a situation where it demands an answer.

I find it upsetting that anyone would feel threatened to the point that they feel the need to carry a firearm.

I hope you all are staying safe out there!

I find it upsetting that anyone would feel threatened to the point that they feel the need to carry a firearm.

I hope you all are staying safe out there!

I have been alone sometimes,

Looking for an exit door!!!!