• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Maximum occupancy change

SCBO1

Platinum Member
Existing daycare with no building changes would like their maximum occupancy increased. All classes exit to grade from classrooms, it looks like the maximum can be increased to 99 and still stay with a group-E. Do most of you do a letter or actually change the certificate of occupancy. Remember I'm not changing group classification so I don't think I would need to re-issue the CO that another inspector issued when the building was originally approved.

I think I can do this with a letter?

C of O...... That's the official document and they need to have the occup. load on it. Down the road, the letter might disappear, but the C/O usually doesn't.

If the building can accomodate an occupant load of 99 but the states license limits them to 75 children plus 8 staff then that is what the CO will have on it. By spelling it out and being consistant with the licensing requirements it has made the annual inspections easier for the fire inspectors.

You should require a reinspection by the licensing agency for their increased occupant load. Many daycare licensing agencies determine the occupant load based, not only on area but also, on the number of staff per children. The younger the children then more staff is required such as 1 staff/5 infants, 2 staff/12 infants, 1 staff/14 3year-olds, etc.

Why would you limit the occupancy to 99? Table 1004.1.1 allows 1 occupant per 35 sf and further limited by 308.5.2 to 100 and less children under 2 1/2 years of age. That's an easy calc for you, but, only meaningful if the licensing agency allows more than your calc.

A new C of O should be issued showing the current occupancy conditions with the history of this change noted.

Plans Approver,

Day care Licensing agency told them 118,

Day care review was under the 2000IBC, with no day care 35 net listed on table 1004.1.2, (but the architect used 35 s.f. per classroom). My 2006IBC has 35 Net listed on table 1004.1.2.

I think you have to redo the C.O. for the new occupancy so it can be posted, I just was't the inspector at the time the building was built.