• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

meter socket as raceway

BSSTG

Gold Member
Greetings all,

Sorry no pic. Existing 200 amp meter can. Load side of the meter conductors leave the meter and are terminated into a service disconnect breaker immediately adjacent to the meter. Load side of the breaker feeds back into the meter can and exits the meter can through the rear to a panel. Both line side and load side conductors are fed through a close nipple. Now this has been in service for better than 20 years. I would not have passed it like that when it was built but that was before my time here. After all of these years the local power company rep will not allow a reconnect as the power has been off recently to his bldg. I'm not even sure it's a code violation except for the can is used as a raceway. And even with that there's enough room and bending space in the can.

What say you folks? I think it's chicken stools.

BSSTG

It appears you have service conductors and non service conductors in the same raceway. I am not surprised that the power company does not like it.

I agree with Dennis, you said both line and load conductors go through the close nipple so I see that as a violation of 230.7.

Chris