• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Mezzanine MOE....again

This is the circular code: If we have an occupied space, used for storage it needs a compliant MOE. But if we have a space, used for storage without a compliant MOE, then it is not occupied, and needs no MOE. I am thinking I could simply state that the storage space without a compliant MOE is an unoccupied space and not subject to ch. 10 for MOE, and that the use of the rolling stair is not reviewed as a MOE. The problem is it is patently obvious that it is intended for people to move frequently to and from it (on the rolling stair), there are guards around it, and they call it a mezzanine, which by definition must have an MOE. I will have a conversation with the architect.
Soon as you have the rolling ladder gizmo, it becomes an accessible/occupied space. It could be considered an interstitial space, maybe, but there are rules around access/egress into those.

I'd concur with your view: this is a mezzanine and needs code-compliant means of egress.

If they have room to use and move the movable stairs, they CAN build a permanent one and use complaint guards.

Reactions: ICE
Yes, they have room. It was initially shown with a permanent stair but there were no details so I asked for them. Only then did it become a rolling stair. I actually don't think the owner/occupant will want them and it was the DP that made the unilateral decision to change it. Maybe didn't want to take the time to draw a detail??? Look how much time it saved......