• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Mixed Use Occupancy Fire Sprinkler Requirements

The way I read it the state law does does not keep the local AHJ from mandating a fire suppression system in a residence through the local adoption process

I heard some AHJ waive smoke doors inspection if the building is fully sprinkled, any input ?
AHJ should never waive a requirement.

And more often than not, it is an AHJ that does not require documentation. Not requiring documentation is not the same as waiving a requirement. Ultimately (check your states laws), a contractor is still required to comply with all code based requirements. This is irrespective if enforced by the AHJ.

We are in the process of building a 6000 square feet two story building. The first floor, 3000 square feet, will have a classification as Business Group B consisting of office space. The upstairs is classified as Residential R-3. A one hour fire rated ceiling will separate the first and the second story and a one hour fire rated wall will separate the two dwellings upstairs. What areas need to be sprinkled and what NFPA sprinkler system can I use? NFPA 13, 13R, or 13D? I appreciate your input.
I have a similar scenario. I am designing remodeling for a three story commercial building. The first and second floors are B-business occupancy and the top floor is R-3 Residential apartment. I am creating "separated" occupancies by designing a two hour horizontal fire barrier between floors. The group B occupancy is not required to be sprinklered, but the group R occupancy is required to be sprinklered per 903.2.8
903.2.8 GROUP R.
AN AUTOMATIC SPRINKLER SYSTEM INSTALLED IN ACCORDANCE WITH SECTION 903.3 SHALL BE PROVIDED THROUGHOUT ALL BUILDINGS WITH A GROUP R FIRE AREA.
EXCEPT PER 903.2.8.1 GROUP R-3. AN AUTOMATIC SPRINKLER SYSTEM INSTALLED IN ACCORDANCE WITH SECTION 903.3.1.3 SHALL BE PERMITTED IN GROUP R-3 OCCUPANCIES.
903.3.1.3 NFPA 13D SPRINKLER SYSTEMS.
AUTOMATIC SPRINKLER SYSTEMS INSTALLED IN ONE- AND TWO-FAMILY DWELLINGS; GROUP R-3, AND TOWNHOUSES SHALL BE PERMITTED TO BE INSTALLED THROUGHOUT IN ACCORDANCE WITH NFPA 13D.
903.3.2 QUICK-RESPONSE AND RESIDENTIAL SPRINKLERS.
WHERE AUTOMATIC SPRINKLER SYSTEMS ARE REQUIRED BY THIS CODE, QUICK-RESPONSE OR RESIDENTIAL AUTOMATIC SPRINKLERS SHALL BE INSTALLED IN ALL OF THE FOLLOWING AREAS IN ACCORDANCE WITH SECTION 903.3.1 AND THEIR LISTINGS:
DWELLING UNITS AND SLEEPING UNITS IN R OCCUPANCIES.

This has triggered all kinds of other questions as you can read below in these posts:
1. What kind of sprinkler system is required? NFPA 13?, NFPA 13R?, NFPA 13D?
2. Are we required to sprinkler the entire building if only one apartment requires a sprinkler system?
420.5 requires R occupancies to be equipped throughout with automatic sprinklers per 903.3.2 - this allows for NFPA13D
3. Are we allowed to use an NFPA 13D sprinkler in a mixed occupancy?
In Pennsylvania, the requirement for sprinklers for single family dwellings has been repealed,
4. Does an apartment qualify as an R-3 single family dwelling exempt from the sprinkler requirement in PA?
5. Is a R-"Fire area" in a non separated mixed occupancy still considered a trigger for a sprinkler system, throughout the "entire building", if the R-fire area is "separated" in accordance with provisions separated mixed occupancies?

I believe there is a conflict in the building code, at least perhaps some confusion:
Table 508.4 shows required separations in mixed occupancies
For each separation there are fire barrier requirements both for sprinklered (S) and non-sprinklered (NS) buildings
For a "non-sprinklered" building, the separation of B-Business and R-Residential is two hours
would it be true then that 903.2.8 is void?
903.2.8 AN AUTOMATIC SPRINKLER SYSTEM INSTALLED IN ACCORDANCE WITH SECTION 903.3 SHALL BE PROVIDED THROUGHOUT ALL BUILDINGS WITH A GROUP R FIRE AREA.
No exceptions are noted

a fire area is defined as
FIRE AREA. The aggregate floor area enclosed and bounded by fire walls, fire barriers, exterior walls or horizontal assemblies of a building. Areas of the building not provided with surrounding walls shall be included in the fire area if such areas are included within the horizontal projection of the roof or floor next above.

By Others: Aggregate Floor Area” shall mean the sum of the gross horizontal areas of all of the floors on a lot measured from the exterior faces of exterior walls or from the center line of party walls.

The code does not define aggregate floor area and there are many interpretations of aggregate

I say a sprinkler is not required, at all, for an R-fire area in a "separated" mixed occupancy because the occupancies are safely and properly separated for a non-sprinklered (NS) building, in accordance with table 508.4, and the Group R fire area is not really a fire area unless it is included in an "unseparated" mixed occupancy.

What say ye all?

I have a similar scenario. I am designing remodeling for a three story commercial building. The first and second floors are B-business occupancy and the top floor is R-3 Residential apartment. I am creating "separated" occupancies by designing a two hour horizontal fire barrier between floors. The group B occupancy is not required to be sprinklered, but the group R occupancy is required to be sprinklered per 903.2.8
903.2.8 GROUP R.
AN AUTOMATIC SPRINKLER SYSTEM INSTALLED IN ACCORDANCE WITH SECTION 903.3 SHALL BE PROVIDED THROUGHOUT ALL BUILDINGS WITH A GROUP R FIRE AREA.
EXCEPT PER 903.2.8.1 GROUP R-3. AN AUTOMATIC SPRINKLER SYSTEM INSTALLED IN ACCORDANCE WITH SECTION 903.3.1.3 SHALL BE PERMITTED IN GROUP R-3 OCCUPANCIES.
AUTOMATIC SPRINKLER SYSTEMS INSTALLED IN ONE- AND TWO-FAMILY DWELLINGS; GROUP R-3, AND TOWNHOUSES SHALL BE PERMITTED TO BE INSTALLED THROUGHOUT IN ACCORDANCE WITH NFPA 13D.
WHERE AUTOMATIC SPRINKLER SYSTEMS ARE REQUIRED BY THIS CODE, QUICK-RESPONSE OR RESIDENTIAL AUTOMATIC SPRINKLERS SHALL BE INSTALLED IN ALL OF THE FOLLOWING AREAS IN ACCORDANCE WITH SECTION 903.3.1 AND THEIR LISTINGS:

This has triggered all kinds of other questions as you can read below in these posts:
2. Are we required to sprinkler the entire building if only one apartment requires a sprinkler system?
420.5 requires R occupancies to be equipped throughout with automatic sprinklers per 903.3.2 - this allows for NFPA13D
In Pennsylvania, the requirement for sprinklers for single family dwellings has been repealed,
4. Does an apartment qualify as an R-3 single family dwelling exempt from the sprinkler requirement in PA?
5. Is a R-"Fire area" in a non separated mixed occupancy still considered a trigger for a sprinkler system, throughout the "entire building", if the R-fire area is "separated" in accordance with provisions separated mixed occupancies?

I believe there is a conflict in the building code, at least perhaps some confusion:
For each separation there are fire barrier requirements both for sprinklered (S) and non-sprinklered (NS) buildings
For a "non-sprinklered" building, the separation of B-Business and R-Residential is two hours
903.2.8 AN AUTOMATIC SPRINKLER SYSTEM INSTALLED IN ACCORDANCE WITH SECTION 903.3 SHALL BE PROVIDED THROUGHOUT ALL BUILDINGS WITH A GROUP R FIRE AREA.
No exceptions are noted

FIRE AREA. The aggregate floor area enclosed and bounded by fire walls, fire barriers, exterior walls or horizontal assemblies of a building. Areas of the building not provided with surrounding walls shall be included in the fire area if such areas are included within the horizontal projection of the roof or floor next above.

By Others: Aggregate Floor Area” shall mean the sum of the gross horizontal areas of all of the floors on a lot measured from the exterior faces of exterior walls or from the center line of party walls.

The code does not define aggregate floor area and there are many interpretations of aggregate

I say a sprinkler is not required, at all, for an R-fire area in a "separated" mixed occupancy because the occupancies are safely and properly separated for a non-sprinklered (NS) building, in accordance with table 508.4, and the Group R fire area is not really a fire area unless it is included in an "unseparated" mixed occupancy.

What say ye all?
I am going to keep it short and sweet...

No. Fire sprinklers are required for the Group R (unless amended by the AHJ).

903.2.8 GROUP R.

No exceptions are noted

What say ye all?

Welcome

1 st rule in dealing with codes,,,, read the entire book.

2 nd rule,,,, the most stringent of any code wins/// applies

Any other state I would say sprinklers through out

13 r for apartments

13 for below.

Best advice Conceptual meetIng with the building official,, their word will be that last word

Last edited:
Since my business partner and I are both 50/50 co-owners of the building, that means he owns my dwelling as much as I own his. I know it’s blurring the lines but at that point couldn’t it be considered one dwelling since we are both the owners occupying both sides. It’s merely a door separating the two, as a door separates a bedroom from the rest of a house. If so, could I classify them as owner occupied Lodging Houses? Perhaps I have intentions of operating an Air B&B. If that’s the case, the lodging house according to code, 310.0.5, is subject to International Residential Code and not International Building Code. IRC 2009 and later mandates one and two family dwellings to have sprinkler systems installed, but the State of Missouri passed a law, 67.281, banning local governments from requiring sprinkler systems in one and two family dwellings. Therefore, the entire building is now exempt due to the fact the second story will now be built using residential codes and the bottom story is classified as Group B and is not required.
No, If each unit is a complete dwelling unit. Key element.... do each unit have an actual kitchen as in natural gas for oven? If so, it would be two dwelling units. It can be converted into an SFR but that would be a occupancy classification change. If the existing use are that which per architect licensing laws is work that constitutes the practice of architecture and therefore require an architect then you can not do the project without an architect and shall have new plans prepared by the architect submitted and new permit issued. Old permits shall be invalidated and your original plans re-assessed and denied for not bearing the stamp of a licensed architect or engineer per the respective licensing laws. In addition, you would by law need to be reported to the licensing board for unlicensed practice of architecture if you had so done the plans for a building that requires a licensed architect. Is the existing building a historic building or such a building subject to provisions of Chapter 34 of the IBC?

Is this an existing building? If so, has the local jurisdiction adopted the IEBC? The OP is in Missouri but can't speak for the particular township or jurisdiction there. If the juridiction where the building is located adopted IEBC, I would use that code which works along with the IBC but have lighter (less strict) requirements for existing and historic buildings, recognizing that historic buildings (especially) can not be made to comply with all requirements for new construction without losing historic fabric, character.

No, If each unit is a complete dwelling unit. Key element.... do each unit have an actual kitchen as in natural gas for oven? If so, it would be two dwelling units. It can be converted into an SFR but that would be a occupancy classification change. If the existing use are that which per architect licensing laws is work that constitutes the practice of architecture and therefore require an architect then you can not do the project without an architect and shall have new plans prepared by the architect submitted and new permit issued. Old permits shall be invalidated and your original plans re-assessed and denied for not bearing the stamp of a licensed architect or engineer per the respective licensing laws. In addition, you would by law need to be reported to the licensing board for unlicensed practice of architecture if you had so done the plans for a building that requires a licensed architect. Is the existing building a historic building or such a building subject to provisions of Chapter 34 of the IBC?
I would double check if your jurisdiction adopted Chapter 34 when adopting IBC or the IEBC.

903.2.8 GROUP R.

No exceptions are noted

What say ye all?

If you are working with an existing buildings, you should check chapter 34 (if adopted, whether amended or not is aside) and also if IEBC is adopted. There usually are provisions that may alleviate some of the sprinkler requirements.

903.2.8 GROUP R.

No exceptions are noted

What say ye all?
I am in a similar situation. Farmer's market (B) with a R-3 farmstay/AirBnB upstairs in Michigan. What did you end up having to do?

They're wanting me to put in a NFPA 13R upstairs and no sprinkling on the main floor (thank God). We have a 2-hour fire wall/barrier between the floors, creating separate occupancies.

I was really hoping for a 13D upstairs as I'd have to have a 300-400 gallon tank but with 13R I've had to enclose a covered porch to create space for a 2,500 gallon tank, cut and replace concrete, change building plans, etc. Originally they wanted me to have 25,000 gallons stored in a giant bunker under ground and would have cost me $120k; the pump itself is about $65k. We don't have municipal water at our farm...It's been a nightmare trying to get this build finished.

Thanks!

Is this new construction or a remodel of an existing building?

Provided you have created a complete and separate fire area (vertical and horizontal) for the R-3 Occupancy and it is new construction you should be allowed to install a 13-D Residential system

2018 IBC
[BF] FIRE AREA. The aggregate floor area enclosed and bounded by fire walls, fire barriers, exterior walls or horizontal assemblies of a building. Areas of the building not provided with surrounding walls shall be included in the fire area if such areas are included within the horizontal projection of the roof or floor next above.

SECTION 420
GROUPS I-1, R-1, R-2, R-3 AND R-4

420.1 General.
Occupancies in Groups I-1, R-1, R-2, R-3 and R-4 shall comply with the provisions of Sections 420.1 through 420.10 and other applicable provisions of this code.

[F] 420.4 Automatic sprinkler system.
Group R occupancies shall be equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.2.8. Group I-1 occupancies shall be equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.2.6. Quick-response or residential automatic sprinklers shall be installed in accordance with Section 903.3.2.

[F] 903.2.8 Group R.
An automatic sprinkler system installed in accordance with Section 903.3 shall be provided throughout all buildings with a Group R fire area.

[F] 903.2.8.1 Group R-3.
An automatic sprinkler system installed in accordance with Section 903.3.1.3 shall be permitted in Group R-3 occupancies.

[F] 903.3.1.3 NFPA 13D sprinkler systems.
Automatic sprinkler systems installed in one- and two-family dwellings; Group R-3; Group R-4, Condition 1; and townhouses shall be permitted to be installed throughout in accordance with NFPA 13D

[F] 903.2.8 Group R.
An automatic sprinkler system installed in accordance with Section 903.3 shall be provided throughout all buildings with a Group R fire area.
I am sure when it says a sprinkler system shall be installed throughout the building it means that a sprinkler system shall be installed throughout the building.
13 on first floor and 13, 13R, or 13D in R-3 area

But then I found this by SteveRay:

A common question is whether a mixed occupancy
building which contains a Group R occupancy could
still use NFPA 13R for the design. If one of the mixed
use occupancies would require a sprinkler system
throughout the building in accordance with NFPA 13,
then a 13R system would not be allowed. If, however,
the only reason a sprinkler system is being installed
is because there is a Group R fire area within the
building, then an NFPA 13R system would be an
appropriate design choice.

2012 IBC commentary....

I guess this would go for 13D systems too?