• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Most common issues with foundation inspections and what options do you give contractors for corrections?

Here is an example of an issue with the dirt. There was a cut in the slope below a pad for a mansion. When I saw the cut I got the feeling that there's an issue. The striations indicated that the slope was built up in layers. Then I found the plastic pipe which eliminated all doubt.

As it turned out, the original developer graded dozens of lots uphill from this lot. The spoils were dumped on this lot. The plans changed after this discovery.

DSCN1652.JPG

DSCN1647.JPG

The result was a deeper footing than was first approved.

IMG_1066.jpeg

Last edited:
My perception is that the building department inspectors feel the need to look at the condition of the soil at the bottom of the footings but find that the code gives them no guidance and as a result have adopted these subjective "tests".
There's alot of truth in that statement!

There's alot of truth in that statement!
I would agree.

So where the code provides no guidance, what is an official to do? Should they require a geotechnical engineer on all projects?

We refer to the "reasonable person" test used by the courts for instances such as this. I would suggest that a reasonable person would not engage a geotechnical engineer on all projects, but would devise some form of test including enough of a safety factor to ensure it captures all situations where a geotechnical engineer should be engaged. Naturally, there will still be occasions where one is engaged without it being necessary, but I am not seeing a viable alternative.

This response is the same response being demonstrated by many on this forum. Mark is correct that we should all be vary cautious when carrying this out, but I would disagree that we should not do it because I do not see a viable alternative.

And how much of the inspection pass fail is determined by the contractor and workman and their reputation and previous experience with the inspector? I'm certain the contractor's work an official has been inspecting for 10 years gets passed a lot quicker with less scrutiny than the first timer, as it should IMHO.

There are requirements for the inspector in the plumbing chapters to do tests but I don't see a requirement for the inspector to do this test. It would seem to me that if the inspector does this test and they say the soil is ok to build on he would be liable it something goes wrong.

I did not use the probe unless there was a reason to suspect that the soil had issues. Issues range from suspected fill dirt to over-excavation with a lack of proper compaction. You get a feel for it. I don't have a code section for the feeling that I get and not being an engineer, it's hard to explain but you'll know it when ir happens to you. Right away you're gonna want to stick something in the dirt.
We probe more often than not. couple of weeks ago, out of a dozen pad footing, half of one pad had the probe sink 2 feet without effort. unnoticeable to the eye looking down. the engineer had already passed it.

Code in Canada allows for a couple of options for us inspectors, a picket test and a thumb pressure test. Both of them intended to take place in the trench wall. Like what has been referenced before, they are largely up to how the inspector preforms the test.
To piggyback on tmurray, here's from the BCBC2018
A-Table 9.4.4.1. Classification of Soils.
Sand or gravel may be classified by means of a picket test in which a 38 mm by 38 mm picket beveled at the end at 45° to a point is pushed into the soil. Such material is classified as “dense or compact” if a man of average weight cannot push the picket more than 200 mm into the soil and “loose” if the picket penetrates 200 mm or more.
Clay and silt may be classified as “stiff” if it is difficult to indent by thumb pressure, “firm” if it can be indented by moderate thumb pressure, “soft” if it can be easily penetrated by thumb pressure, where this test is carried out on undisturbed soil in the wall of a test pit.

Mac,
The thumb pressure test sounds a bit like the "boot heel test" when inspecting a clay soil footing.

I recently witnessed a frost footer being poured in the morning and saw the third party inspector making his report at the site that afternoon.

So who do you want on that wall? You need me on that wall!

My methods were pretty much the same as the contractor shown in the video. I used a 4' fiberglass probe. Note that I started and learned in NC, so not too surprised at this contractors methods. IMHO, the NC code provides better guidance for prescriptive construction in this area. Note that the tables he shows in his NC code are underlined, which means that those sections are amended from the ICC code and are specific to the NC code. That said, like many others who have contributed, the probe only came out when concerns presented themselves, and only as a way to demonstrate the validity of my concerns. This was rare in the areas I worked in NC, but later, in another state, the probe got more work. I would simply state that I had concerns about the soil bearing capacity and why, and would take pictures of the buried probe for use when questioned about my concerns by the boss. I also occasionally used a penetrometer, but found that to be less impactful than the pictures of the probe buried to the hilt. I didn't recommend any particular measure to mitigate the questionable soil beyond find better soil or get an EJ. Can't recall, in any state, an engineer accepting any of the soils I questioned without some serious mitigation efforts.

Also, note than in NC, there was a mechanism to appeal a building officials conclusions to the state board, at which point they would investigate through their department of engineering. Buried probes would go a long way in those cases.

Where I am now, most AHJ's require a geotechnical report and an engineered foundation, and due to liability, nobody complains. My probe is pretty much retired.

That was what I had. Staying on script is what exactly? Please explain what staying on script looks like when the soil has obvious issues.
Then you call the project engineer or geologist. If none, then inform your agency geologist.