• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Motion sensors on pool gates?

C anderson

New to the forum, but I am seeking info on a local AHJs request. Client has a clubhouse with perimeter gates around the pool. Currently they are on a card reader system in/out with maglocks which hold the gates locked. There is a push to exit on each of the two gates that disables the maglock and opens the gate. The property manager was just informed the gates must have motion sensors to release the gates upon approach.. Other than the reliability of a poolside mounted motion sensor in Florida, this doesn't seem appropriate for a pool deck. Any help would be appreciated in understanding this.

Many AHJs have their own rules when it come to swimming pool barriers. The only real help that you will get is from the AHJ that required the motion sensors. I have never seen or heard of this before now. It seems illogical. Here the gates shall be self closing and latching as soon as one lets go of the gate. A motion sensor would have a built in delay. Pricey I bet too,

In my case public pools are under the purview of the Health Dept. so I may be full of......

Sounds like they are treating it as an exit.

Which it more than likely is.

Normally when there is a push button, a motion sensor is required.

There are some fixes, just going to cost money.

You can send an email to this person, which may give some other ideas::

About half way down

https://idighardware.com/about-2/

3109.4.1.7 Gates. Access doors or gates shall comply with the requirements of Sections 3109.4.1.1 through 3109.4.1.6 and shall be equipped to accommodate a
locking device. Pedestrian access doors or gates shall open outward away from the pool and shall be self-closing and have a self-latching device. Doors or gates other than pedestrian access doors or gates shall have a self-latching device. Release mechanisms shall be in accordance with Sections 1010.1.9 and 1109.13. Where the release mechanism of the self-latching device is located less than 54 inches (1372 mm) from the bottom of the door or gate, the release mechanism shall be located on the pool side of the door or gate 3 inches (76 mm) or more, below the top of the door or gate, and the door or gate and barrier shall be without openings greater than 1/2 inch (12.7 mm) within 18 inches (457 mm) of the release mechanism.

That seems to be specific to the locking and latching of the gates for mechanical access for child safety around pools. Hence the height specific requirements and re latching. I'm looking for egress requirements on a portal that isn't specifically an exit. I know there's not much differentiating between doors and gates but seeing how anybody could then simply wave a towel in the general area of the gates plane of exit with a motion type device, that completely kills the whole reason of secured access.

The egress doors/gates serving the pool must comply with the means of egress requirements of the adopted code. When a mag-lock is installed, the model codes have two options - release with a sensor detecting an approaching occupant (+ the auxiliary push button + fire alarm actuation + power failure) or release with a switch in the door/gate mounted hardware (+ power failure). I know this is not ideal for a pool gate, but these are the requirements for mag-locks. Requiring someone to use the card reader to exit is not code-compliant, and neither is the auxiliary push button without the sensor.

Here is a video on the two options for mag-locks: https://idighardware.com/2018/02/code-requirements-for-electromagnetic-locks-video/

Depending on the design of the gate, an electrified lever trim with panic hardware would allow electronic access control and would be code-compliant.

IBC

Release mechanisms shall be in accordance with Sections 1010.1.9 and 1109.13.

Problem in my op is the use of mag lock

Like I said for a little money the problem can be fixed.

Email the person in the link for a different opinion

Never mind she responded