• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

New CAD / Software Discussion Area

I use AutoCAD Architecture (ACA) at the office, but I'm a throwback to AutoCAD with Archt Addon for projects from the home office. I envy those who have switched to Revit. I identified Revit has the program for my future long before Autodesk bought Revit. AutoCAD Architecture was forced on me when I quit my sole proprietorship and went to work for a developer. After 5 years of ACA, I still insist on using Archt for projects from the home office. I am much faster with Archt. Economically, it hasn't made sense to crossgrade to Revit, but I'm getting to a point in my career where I still would like to, but the idea of learning new software is intimidating. In the late '80s and early '90s, I was probably the most technical minded person at firms I worked for prior to AutoCAD adoption.

My first CAD program was a program for the original Amiga 1000. I dabbled with it from home, but never used it on a project. I had no way of printing. My first computer rendering was also with the Amiga. That rendering was pretty crude by today's standards, but it impressed my employer enough that they shared it with the client. It was done at home on my own time just for the fun of it. Unfortunately, I don't find time to do things for the fun of it anymore.

MarkRandall said:
In the late '80s and early '90s, I was probably the most technical minded person at firms I worked for prior to AutoCAD adoption.
Dang.. How old are you? Ohhhh you are talking about 1980's and 1990's! i thought you were really old for a while there!!!! :)

Reactions: JBI
Anyone work much with autodesk "CIVIL 3D"??

I am in school for my Civil Eng. degree and need to use it for a project. Just wondering what to expect for learning curve? how long to get up to speed?

I am waiting for delivery of a new computer this week because I ignored the "technical system requirements", rather treated them like "technical system suggestions", and managed to completly lock my computer up.

Thanks for any feedback.

Re: New CAD / Software Discussion Area

Is anyone using Sketchup? Or is that not considered in the same category. I use it importing pdf pages of the floor plan, and then creating my ISOs (plumbing) for submitting for permits when architect didn't include piping plans. I like how you can then open and navigate your sketchup file onsite with android, or even import them to Google Earth just for fun.

I've never used any other sort of CAD or 3D modeling program, so I'm not even sure they are similar in capabilites.

-- Note II, TapaTalk II--

MechanicalPiper said:
Is anyone using Sketchup? Or is that not considered in the same category. I use it importing pdf pages of the floor plan, and then creating my ISOs (plumbing) for submitting for permits when architect didn't include piping plans. I like how you can then open and navigate your sketchup file onsite with android, or even import them to Google Earth just for fun. I've never used any other sort of CAD or 3D modeling program, so I'm not even sure they are similar in capabilites. -- Note II, TapaTalk II--
It has limitations. It suitable for many tasks. Like any other tool.

What does everyone here use for making isometric drawings. I've only tried Sketchup, and I find for small things, it's almost easier to do them by hand with isometric graph paper and a ruler.

MechanicalPiper said:
What does everyone here use for making isometric drawings. I've only tried Sketchup, and I find for small things, it's almost easier to do them by hand with isometric graph paper and a ruler.
Yep. It's cheaper too.

I've been using an isometric plan view of my floor plan that I draft my plumbing isometrics over. It shows the relationship of the routing to the plan but is still diagrammatic enough that you can show things clearly. Not sure how easy it is to accomplish in Acad but in DataCAD I can create the iso floor plan and save it out for insertion as a simple 2D graphic.

Re: New CAD / Software Discussion Area

MtnArch said:
I've been using an isometric plan view of my floor plan that I draft my plumbing isometrics over.
So where are you getting an isometric view of the floor plan?

-- Note II, TapaTalk II--

In DataCAD I go into an isometric view, then save the view (in Dcad it's a Hide/Save Image) and save it out on a separate layer. What DataCAD creates is a 2D view of the floor plan in the isometric view.

MarkRandall said:
Economically, it hasn't made sense to crossgrade to Revit, but I'm getting to a point in my career where I still would like to, but the idea of learning new software is intimidating.
My two cents.... As a plans examiner, I have been presented with plans that were drawn using many different software programs. I would like to make a few -hands-on plan review experience- comments on the use of Revit as one of those programs. It is my understanding that this program looks wonderful on the computer with its 3D graphics, and it is easy to follow and identify all of the systems in this view (I can't wait for the time to come when I can do my plan reviews on a big screen monitor :) . Transferring this design onto paper is a different story. On at least two occasions (on substantially large projects), it was impossible for me to follow along with the design on either the floor plan or the riser diagram (especially with the plumbing designs). The floor plan was immensely congested and the riser diagrams were -for lack of any better word- illusions leading me in many different, confusing directions. Apparently, after speaking to the designer of the first project, who in turn spoke to a Revit training representative, proper training into the intricacies of the program, and the transferring of designs onto a readable/understandable plan sheet was not provided to the end user. I am assuming that additional training was then provided, because the plans that were re-submitted (1) increased in volume by separating layers for a less congested plan view, and (2) were able to be reviewed and understood as to the design intent. A good software program, but apparently complete, proper training is essential for any end user.