• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

New CAD / Software Discussion Area

I am currently using Revit and let me tell you what.. If you are looking for a way to remind yourself how dumb you can feel, take a trip down the Revit highway. This thing has so many buttons, bells and whistles that half the time I'm not sure if I am honking, squealing or clicking... But boy is it a celebration when I figure out something that has been perplexing me for hours (i.e days) on end. She is definitely the Cadillac once you figure it out.

MtnArch said:
And the Bentley when you pay for it!
True but I get most of my work because of the "extras" that revit allows me to do so I feel like in the end I come out ahead. Maybe I do maybe I don't. I still have fun making it click, pop and whistle (most of the time) so I keep punishing myself.

Hi guys,

I am currently using Revit Architecture and CAD. I am studying more about Revit MEP which is quite complicated by I expect to become better after a couple of months.

If anybody is proficient at Revit MEP let me know please so we may exchange POVs.

I use AutoCAD Architecture (ACA) at the office, but I'm a throwback to AutoCAD with Archt Addon for projects from the home office. I envy those who have switched to Revit. I identified Revit has the program for my future long before Autodesk bought Revit. AutoCAD Architecture was forced on me when I quit my sole proprietorship and went to work for a developer. After 5 years of ACA, I still insist on using Archt for projects from the home office. I am much faster with Archt. Economically, it hasn't made sense to crossgrade to Revit, but I'm getting to a point in my career where I still would like to, but the idea of learning new software is intimidating. In the late '80s and early '90s, I was probably the most technical minded person at firms I worked for prior to AutoCAD adoption.

My first CAD program was a program for the original Amiga 1000. I dabbled with it from home, but never used it on a project. I had no way of printing. My first computer rendering was also with the Amiga. That rendering was pretty crude by today's standards, but it impressed my employer enough that they shared it with the client. It was done at home on my own time just for the fun of it. Unfortunately, I don't find time to do things for the fun of it anymore.

Talk about old. Now, I had the C64 and TI-99/4A and there was a very limited CAD program I played with on the C64. On the Amiga, I have a number of programs for that. In that collection of old computers, I have the ol' Amiga 500 and Amiga 1200. One must bear in mind, CAD means COMPUTER AIDED DESIGN. CADD (two Ds) refer to CAD programs for design and drafting uses. These days, the tools maybe SketchUp, AutoCAD and numerous other tools. I could talk about classic pencil/pen & paper but this section is about CAD so nah.