• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

new fire station: domestic or commercial kitchen exhuast required

we are providing a large kitchen with high end commercial grade appliances
The OP stated commercial cooking appliances will be installed. I bet insurance will not payout if a fire was caused by cooking if a code compliant hood is not installed
He needs to install light duty appliances and the kitchen needs to be part of the R-2 area of the fire house to CYA IMHO

507.2 Where required.
A Type I or Type II hood shall be installed at or above all commercial cooking appliances in accordance with Sections 507.2.1 and 507.2.2. Where any cooking appliance under a single hood requires a Type I hood, a Type I hood shall be installed. Where a Type II hood is required, a Type I or Type II hood shall be installed.

Exception: Where cooking appliances are equipped with integral down-draft exhaust systems and such appliances and exhaust systems are listed and labeled for the application in accordance with NFPA 96, a hood shall not be required at or above them.

507.2.1 Type I hoods.
Type I hoods shall be installed where cooking appliances produce grease or smoke as a result of the cooking process. Type I hoods shall be installed over medium-duty, heavy-duty and extra-heavy-duty cooking appliances. Type I hoods shall be installed over light-duty cooking appliances that produce grease or smoke.

Exception: A Type I hood shall not be required for an electric cooking appliance where an approved testing agency provides documentation that the appliance effluent contains 5 mg/m3 or less of grease when tested at an exhaust flow rate of 500 cfm (0.236 m3/s) in accordance with Section 17 of UL 710B

HEAVY-DUTY COOKING APPLIANCE. Heavy-duty cooking appliances include electric under-fired broilers, electric chain (conveyor) broilers, gas under-fired broilers, gas chain (conveyor) broilers, gas open-burner ranges (with or without oven), electric and gas wok ranges, and electric and gas over-fired (upright) broilers and salamanders.

To provide some closure to this thread, we are proposing to install a high end professional grade residential stove along with a residential range hood that has a UL300A approved fire suppression system. Per the 2015 IMC commentary its my opinion that a commercial grade type 1 hood is not required in this instance, but we are installing a hood with fire suppression anyway as a best practice / belts and suspender situation. The final call will be with the local Building Official and we very well may end up with a type 1 hood at the end of the day.

https://www.denlarhoods.com/our-products/d1000

maybe the design of the commercial parking garage separated by a four hour fire wall to have a dwelling unit would allow several benefits - No sprinkler system for garage, the dwelling unit area could be protected by NFPA 13 R, and a hybrid guardian or denlar residential system with suppression and interconnection to electrical or gas shut off.

Not a full blown commercial grade type I hood system with fire suppression but a stouter residential hood system with fire suppression features.

Great Idea, let us know what the out come is....