• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

New Forum Ideas

Re: New Forum Ideas

Jeff & UB:

I'm in full support of the "Association" and I would also be willing to contribute funding. Regarding potential officers of the Non-Profit, I'll assist in any capacity deemed worthy...........maybe Sgt. of Arms :?:

BTW: I like the new topic format you've added....it's friendly enough.

Jeff:

Here are a few more ideas for forums:

Residential Structural>Seismic

Other Topics>Message Board Suggestions

Other Topics>Code Change Proposals

Other Topics>Legal Issues

UB & Jeff:

AegisFPE made some excellent points on the formation of the group/association on the voting thread. Can Jeff merge those onto this thread so you don’t have to keep using that stick to prod us :D

With all these postings Jeff will need some assistance shortly so we don't consume his life and we should take that into account too.

The Vote

Subject: The vote yes or no to forming an Association.

The reason that I requested that folks vote "without Comment" and to post comments here;was to keep the vote on track; and not get spun off into any other direction.

We are already discussing regulations, membership dues, and suggesting Association names and posting suggestions for a domain name.

I don't give a suggested domain name that is post on this public forum a chance in hell of being available in two weeks; much less after a Board is formed and an Association is founded. There are people who do nothing else but aquire domain names; so they can sell them to folks who want them as bad as we might want one that has been posted on this forum. If we keep posting possible domain names here before we are even an Association; there will be no names left.

Provided we agree; before we tear this forum apart; to form an Association; we can proceed to deciding on Board members to lead us the rest of the way.

Please keep in mind that there are parties and/or persons who would do whatever it takes to destroy any possibility of this forum succeeding.

One Step at a time,

Uncle Bob

I agree UB, regarding my post I was mainly impressed with the involvment of cross sectional people and public suggested. I will PM both you and Jeff with my idea for domain and brief mission statement.

Gee, do you think ICC would let us be a Chapter??? :lol: :D :mrgreen: :twisted:

Tomorrow, I am am going to have "minor" surgery (no worries); but, if I can post at all; I will most like be making "really stupid statements". It's suppose to take a day to recover from the drugs. Last time, I was told that I got real silly for at least 24 hours.

I know that we all have conserns about our situation; but, please keep a positive attitude and we will do just fine.

Love ya All,

Uncle Bob

Sorry 'bout the other thread UB, but you must understand that you cannot expect an unqualified yes or no from a consultant! Since my verbose post is now referenced in this thread, please find it below:

I agree with the principle to continue to foster discussion among various code users through an independent group that would maintain an independent site, which would be anticipated to promote and facilitate a similar online environment as that which many of us experienced prior to this week through the ICC. Though we may agree that an independent group is appropriate, branding and identifying that group so that membership and/or participation in the group is not objectionable to those who are members or participants (there seems to be a consensus that there is value in enabling participation by non-members). I think it is also important to emphasize that the group is not Anti-ICC or Anti-NFPA, but rather seeking to provide another avenue of professional development, networking, and sharing of opinions, interpretations and experiences related to the application and enforcement of various code provisions.I understand that a significant purpose, maybe the purpose, of the group is to maintain an electronic bulletin board. There also seems to be general agreement that the bb must be extremely user friendly, able to be searched, regulated for inappropriate content while facilitating professional discussions of potentially controversial and adverse opinions - for which an independent organization makes a lot of sense.

This has the potential to be even more valuable, not only encompassing public and private entities, but also providing more opportunity for spanning the ICC - NFPA chasm, to include users of both authoring agencies and associated referenced standards which are encountered through the administration and application of local codes and ordinances, and for the group to develop proposed code amendments based on involvement of a wider cross-section of users, rather than a specific user group. Such a group would definitely be worth a nominal membership fee in order to provide for the maintenance and operation of the bb.

Therefore, it is essential to recognize that in naming the group, because membership could likely include public employees, private designers, owners, product reps, and others, the name should appropriately reflect this mix, or not deter involvement from those who may otherwise not perceive themselves to fall within the purview of the title of the organization.

Therefore, I would tend toward a more generic name, such as CSA (Codes and Standards Association) or ICSUG (Independent Code and Standards Users Group), for which incidentally http://www.CSAssociation.org and http://www.ICSUG.org appear to be available.
P.S. - Best wishes on a successful procedure - relax and try to avoid scolding the staff on obstructed sprinklers and egress paths!

Thanks,

I've got a little time left so I thouht I'd post another idea.

After we are organized; we could add a "Chat Room".

That might keep the board topics from being used for schit chat; and give us a place to visit. You can have more than one room in a Chat Room; so we could conduct meetings and debate specific topics. This might help us to stay on track in topic threads; and give us a place to just screw around.

Uncle Bob

So ok, 2 of my posts were those accidentally removed. Here is the main point of one of them.

I suggested that prior to getting money from advertisers, the board sets up some sort of memberships for people. The first is a free membership, the 2nd is a $10/year paid (bronze), 3rd is a $20/year paid (silver), and last is a $50/year paid (gold). All have the same privaliges so the money being given is more in line with a donation to keep this board up and running.

Just a suggestion.

Jeff, is there a way to set up the site so that links will open in a seperate window? It might not matter to others, but I just like a link to open in a different window.

Thanks!

A forum for Department Managment, something similiar, might be a good idea. The main forum previously was a catch all for "how do you guys handle something like this...." Don't know where to put something like this on our new boards.

Well that's just cooler than all get out! I'm a pretty good computer geek and never knew that one!

Thanks

Well, I'm back and can drive tomorrow. Everything came out great. :)

Thanks, for the Best wishes,

Uncle Bob