• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

New to plan check - any tips?

Electronic. I downloaded the free trial of Bluebeam so I could familiarize myself with it.

Any thoughts there?
Good choice. I have used it for years. There is whole separate area on here for it. "Bluebeam users group" I believe.

Plan checklist. Shirley the AHJ will provide you with a checklist. As you mature, you should add to the list.

Seriously, is that a real thing? I was never provided a list. Made my own.

Read your village/city zoning ordinance.

Ideally, you should be in a shop that has developed plans review templates/checklists. I manage lists for our shop, and as we identify challenges, I will modify them accordingly. The critical thing is to develop a workflow that is consistent, because that creates patterns our minds will adapt to. For me, it's always a function of
classify the building
spatial separation
structural (foundation, floors, walls rafters/trusses)
then life safety (egress, alarms)
fire protection (if applicable)
environmental (cladding, roofing systems, insulation, ventilation, plumbing)
There is no "right order" of most the above.

Basically, I have a Word template for each of house, small building, complex building - since the requirements are different for each. The logic is to remove what doesn't apply - so I have a section on minihomes, a section on attached garages, a section that reminds me to check for under-window sinks (because that leads to plumbers putting holes in jack studs that may cause structural issues)....

Reactions: ICE
I'm also new to the plan review process, having passed by ICC certification exams (building, mechanical, plumbing and residential). Are there any classroom training available for individuals entering the Plans Reviewer field. I have done building inspections for the past 2-years and would like to transition into doing plan review also. I see a lot of classes for passing the ICC exams, but nothing about hands-on training.

I read the previous comments, but I need a very structured training program to get up to speed quickly. I will be starting a position with a Private Provider in a few weeks.

I have attended a couple of Russell's classes and believe he is a good and thorough instructor. He has a 3 day course on residential plan review that is very informative and practical for anyone new or experienced in residential plan reviews.

I'm also new to the plan review process, having passed by ICC certification exams (building, mechanical, plumbing and residential). Are there any classroom training available for individuals entering the Plans Reviewer field. I have done building inspections for the past 2-years and would like to transition into doing plan review also. I see a lot of classes for passing the ICC exams, but nothing about hands-on training.

I read the previous comments, but I need a very structured training program to get up to speed quickly. I will be starting a position with a Private Provider in a few weeks.
To add to my previous comment: I would draw on your field experience. What are contractors/builders in your area doing wrong or misunderstanding? Make sure there are sufficient plan details to circumvent those issues ...

I'm always concerned about a reliance on checklists. This applies to both plan reviews and inspections. I've found that people can focus on what to check next on the checklist, missing clear violations right in front of their face.

While we do have checklists, filling one out is the last thing we do. We use it to remind us of the items that might have been forgotten in our initial review/inspection.

I'm always concerned about a reliance on checklists. This applies to both plan reviews and inspections. I've found that people can focus on what to check next on the checklist, missing clear violations right in front of their face.

While we do have checklists, filling one out is the last thing we do. We use it to remind us of the items that might have been forgotten in our initial review/inspection.
That's exactly the discussion I had with my boss, who wanted me to create a plans review checklist, and digital checklists for field inspections. There's a tendency (I find) to just do the checklist items ... so you either have a monster checklist that has a bunch of items that don't apply, or as you suggest, a checklist that may lead to stuff being missed.
I much prefer workflow/process modalities, so on a PR
Classification -> Spatial separation -> structural (foudation/wall/roofing) -> fire safety -> Health/Environment -> NECB -> Barrier Free.
On a residential final, I will always start on the top floor, in a bedroom. (vents/alarms/egress) and work my way down to the basement.

While there are things I will systematically check on a framing inspection, I prefer to let my eyes look and let my brain flag things that "look wrong." I find that vastly more effective.

I think many of those who have shared their thoughts alluded to the situation that it is Not What Is ON THE DRAWING that is a problem But rather what is NOT ON THE DRAWING, What is MISSING That is where the Checklist can help as you are developing that experience to "See" what is missing.

My general advice to those who submitted drawings was "What the Contractor needs to see on the Drawing to BID It and BUILD It is the same thing I need to see to REVIEW IT

Hope that helps frame the challenge of doing a good job

Best, and Good Luck

I truly appreciate ALL the feedback I have received on this topic for a new Plans Examiner.

I would develop relationships with other people experienced in the field, find some good mentors. It is very helpful to have a "code buddy" or two that you can informally bounce ideas off of.
Whereas building inspection is a mix of technical knowledge and soft skills, plan review is hardcore technical code work. Spend lots of time actually reading the code books.

I'll be starting a new position as a Plans Examiner in a few weeks and am looking for any insights or suggested subject matter to review. Any code sections to drill down on? Tools to familiarize myself with? General advice or thoughts on what I should be doing to start off on solid footing? Thanks in advance!
The ICC has printed plan review guides for purchase for each year of the applicable code.

I'll be starting a new position as a Plans Examiner in a few weeks and am looking for any insights or suggested subject matter to review. Any code sections to drill down on? Tools to familiarize myself with? General advice or thoughts on what I should be doing to start off on solid footing? Thanks in advance!
May I ask your qualifications for Plan Review?