• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

new x-ray room in existing bldg.

BSSTG

Gold Member
Greetings all again,

I was just informed of a project involving a new x-ray machine to be installed. Being an electrician I don't have an issue with electrical. However, I don't know what requirements there are insofar as the construction of the room with the lead lined drywall etc. All I've seen is a sketch of the room thus far. the sketch did indicate lead and wall thickness. I would expect the manufacturer specs will have a lot of info on the installation but I haven't seen that either. Being here in Tx. I figure that there is some state oversight. I'm not even sure about that through. This is one subject I am really ignorant on.

Input is always welcome and appreciated.

thanks

BS

Not going to find anything in the I-Codes, like you said, maybe state rules? Definitely manufacturers specs will come into play. I've never dealt with one myself, interesting to see what comes out of this thread.

From a review inspection standpoint, I would think you just make sure shielding is specified on the permit documents and verify installation is per documents.

For me, as the architect, I'd have a consultant designing the shielding requirements to meet mfr and industry standards or whatever they go by. I've never asked my consultants what they design to, just ask them to provide the required shielding. I haven't done one in a few years.

Byron,

We just completed one of these projects. The state health department had their

own design, install & verification standards. Lead lined walls, one lead lined

( 800 lb. + ) door and lead cover for each gyp. board screw installed. Yep,

every single one! The electrical was an easy install for the X-Ray machine

dedicated circuit. The lead lined gyp. board extended from the floor level up

to a height of 8 ft.

Recommend that you ask the GC of record to contact the supplier of the

X-Ray machine and your state health dept.

Hope this helps!