• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

No More Sharpies NEC 408.4

Jeff, do you interpret this as just the feed to the panelboard and/or the feeders out of and branch circuits as well?

408.4(B) is specific to panelboards and switchgear feeders and where the changes are in the code, not to the panelboard schedule of branch circuits which is 408.4(A)

So what language does it have to be in Jeff? You have English, Spanish, Hatian, French in your area. Would you fail the inspection if you could not read the language it was written in even though it is type written and legible?

(23) The building official may waive minor building code violations that do not constitute an imminent threat to property or to the health, safety, or welfare of any person.

I fall back to the state on some violations I may not want to make a big deal about and tell them it is wrong and don't do it on the next job. To me 80% of this job is all about educating others about code requirements and purpose for them specifically.

You know what always gives me a good chuckle, Braille on a drive thru ATM.

It is a fairly usual joke on a stressful final in regards to required accessibility signage. "This restroom signage is miss-spelled!" The looks we get are priceless....:D

Access is only required when there is equipment to maintain.

408.4(B) is specific to panelboards and switchgear feeders and where the changes are in the code, not to the panelboard schedule of branch circuits which is 408.4(A)

But you could have feeders and BC out of the same panel....no? Say for maybe an RTU and maybe the service receptacles? So they could handwrite the BC labels and then type feeders? Again, dumb....I could almost support all or nothing. And I do understand how important good labelling is, when you kill the power to a bank because you can't figure out what circuit feeds the office the car went through, they learn how important it is too...

(Amd) 104.1 General. The building official is hereby authorized and directed to enforce the
provisions of this code.
The building official shall have the authority to adopt policies and
procedures to clarify the application of its provisions. Such policies and procedures shall comply
with the intent and purpose of this code. Such policies and procedures shall not have the effect
of waiving requirements specifically provided for in this code, nor shall they have the effect of
establishing requirements in excess
of those set forth in this code.

Exception. What your boss tells you do do to keep your job.

Yeah, not buying that whatsoever. Cop-out response.

Cop-out is it? Yeah, not buying that whatsoever. Countless times I have witnessed an inspector being intimidated by a supervisor. I'd venture to guess that every organization with a few dozen inspectors has at least one that gets the dirty work. Those downtrodden, beaten inspectors know that if they don't go along, they won't get along.

There are building officials that have given away the entire code several times over.

New inspectors are susceptible to bullying. Marginal inspectors fold up like a cheap suit. You know it's worse with contract inspectors.

Many of the things that I have posted here at the forum were approved as is......not by me. It took an inspector that was ordered to go forth and grant absolution. Some saw it as a distasteful chore while others relished the opportunity to shine. In each situation they were told what to do....with the longevity of their livelihood in mind.

Last edited: