• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Non-ADA Toilet Stall Dimensions

Yeah, how's this?
IMG_1804.JPG
That just wrong

FWIW, that dual urinal is still in use in at least 2 buildings that were originally built in the 1920s, and it is the only available urinal fixture in those restrooms. I believe the fixture manufacturer was Crane. The owner, who shall remain unidentified in this litigious society of ours, has plans to change them out as part of an upcoming building renovation for accessibility.

LOL, it's hard to see in the photo, but there's a solid porcelain "partition" between the two sides of the fixture. It stops a few inches short of the bottom of the urinal, creating a gap where the two sides can share the common drain in the middle.
I suppose you could aim downward at the bottom of the urinal and try to bounce some splatter onto your neighbor.
Anyway, when the owner gets rid of these things, my guess is that some neighborhood bar will try to salvage them as a novelty.

Do these minimums for wall mounted toilets still apply if we are talking about ambulatory stalls? I have a row of 6 stalls with an ambulatory and handicap at the end. The handicap stall only needs to be 56" and the 4 regular sized ones too. Does the ambulatory stall need to still be 60" deep minimum? All are toilets are wall mounted.
Disagreed,

Instant doesn't get it. The 9" is for wheelchair stalls, not ambulatory.

I'm not sure what your point is. Are you saying that people who use ambulatory stalls or regular stalls don't have toes?

If you want to change the codes or the standards, step up and make proposals to suggest the changes. EVERYBODY seems to loves complaining about things in codes and standards but fail to realize that they themselves, can instigate changes simply by submitting proposals. The development processes (ANSI or ICCs) require that all proposals are addressed and considered. If you can't get it passed the first time around, try try again

If you can't get it passed the first time around, try try again
A couple of times I submitted what seemed to be a no-brainer change in the code, and nothing came of it. Now, I just read Table 721.1(3) footnote m in every new edition for my own amusement:

m. Double wood floor shall be permitted to be either of the following:
(a) Subfloor of 1-inch nominal boarding, a layer of asbestos paper weighing not less than 14 pounds per 100 square feet and a layer of 1-inch nominal tongue-and-groove finished flooring; or...​
o_O