• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

NYC Fire Extinguisher requirement boiler room

Thanks for all the help. The units are 3 story/ 3 family buildings without a basement. The boiler room is in the one car garage on the first floor of each building. The boiler room is configured with three doors to access each of the 3 units small gas fired boilers. The garage door is locked by the owner of the unit that has the garage - I guess he can fight the fire if he is in the garage when it starts. There are sprinklers in the common areas of each building - one head on each floor. I have a fire extinguisher in my condo, not sure about everyone else. I know the front doors of each unit are self-closing and there is a fire plan in place as required by recently passed fire code for NYC. I can't find anything about the nyc fire code requiring portable fire extinguishers for gas fired boilers in nyc or for boiler rooms in multiple dwelling units.

Yep

“The garage door is locked by the owner of the unit that has the garage - I guess he can fight the fire if he is in the garage when it starts.””

The fire extinguisher can burn up with the rest of the building,,,, but it will be there…

Sometimes you have to use common sense!!

Yes there is a code that requires them.