1. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

NYC residence "convenience stair"

Discussion in 'Residential Building Codes' started by griffino, Jun 28, 2020.

1. ADAguy

ADAguy Registered User

"wrong" in so many ways.

2. tbz

tbz Silver Member

NYC has many buildings that are still under the 1968 code when doing existing building renovations. Not sure why they don't push to the newer adoptions, but each building is designated to different codes based on the address and when built.

As a secondary non-MOE stair flight under the 1968 code, going to the 12'-9" adds 1 riser to the stair flight when you look at they now allow 147", or 12'-3" in the stair flights between risers.

however, I would strongly suggest staying with the 36" width over reduced 30" width, adding one riser is not that much of a change from the standard compared to reducing the width by 1/6th.

Just my thoughts on it.

3. ADAguy

ADAguy Registered User

No convenience gained unless it is wide enough to carry things up and down.

4. VillageInspector

VillageInspector Sawhorse

I live just north of NYC and I'm aware that NYC has its own stand alone codes which differs from the remainder of the state however I would check with legal counsel on anything that takes you from the current code back to 1968. That seems suspect to say the least. In addition as someone else pointed out it sounds to me like you are creating a setting for a lawsuit in the city of litigation hence my comment to be sure that the section you are relying on so heavily is applicable.

ADAguy likes this.
  5. griffino

griffino Registered User

My thought as well, that the intermediate landing would not be required.