• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

occupancy calc indoor offleash dog bar

Kansas City has something similar, they have an outdoor area for dogs with an outdoor bar, food is provided at picnic tables outside. There is an inside bar and grill closed off to the doggies with the TV's. The food prep area regulated by the Health Department does not want flying inspects so it has to be somewhat closed off except for egress into the area.

It appears the only places dogs are allowed are in outside areas. The complex has some shipping containers stacked as you mentioned and on the second level (two containers stacked on each other) a compliant stair way on the outside allows patrons and their dogs to mingle with food outside on a porch setting.

At first when it opened they had an opening into the kitchen area from the sign-up and the Health Department request they close that area off. I noticed no elevator to the second floor porch area so it did not appear to me to be ADA compliant, just a stairway. But overall, its a nice place to let THOR or FE FE run while you sip some suds.

I'm thinking if you use an arena with closing doors, where food and the rodeo is going on, that would be about the same concept for the food and dogs.

That overhead garage door allowing flying insects into a kitchen IMO will not fly!, :eek:

Hard to picture hundreds of people + dogs in there. Is a there a practical upper limit you are seeking? Use 1004.1.2 (exception) and see if the building official will allow a lower posted occupant limit. We've previously done this on basketball courts at fitness centers. The OL for a game of pickup basketball is a lot lower that for a high school gym that might get used as a multipurpose system.

You can also offer a Fire Watch:
fire-sparkles.jpg

Reactions: cda
IBC Section 1004.1.2 at the Exception is an allowance for 'actual number' to be used for occupant load.

It is nothing new
The Lazy Dog Restaurant & Bar has locations in six states
https://www.lazydogrestaurants.com/
In determining occupancy, disregard the dogs, they are not a factor.
Don't even think of that, it is a health department, not building department issue.

Agree somewhat

The lazy dogs I have seen have the dogs on the patio

Not inside, so occupant load inside based on

Homo sapiens

I am working on code submital for the next cycle to include
Cats and dogs just need to figure out sq ft factor

Wait a minute

If the dogs are in a building,

They want to get out safely

And

They do not want to be overcrowdedEd.

They have fillings also.

So what do you do about an indoor kennel, not assign an occupant load.

yah, pretty sure building code does not account for negotiating a bunch of dogs as a part of the egress during emergency. The only ones salivating about an emergency are the lawyers.