• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Occupancy Classification?

I would agree that restrooms have to be provided for the employees, but if the public does not utilize the building and only use a drive-up window, restrooms don't have to be provided for them.

Yes, if the counter is inside the building or a walk-up window/counter. I don't believe you'll find anything on vehicle drive-up windows. Where would you measure the height of the counter? From the floor or seat of your car?

It's a B occupancy. Per 2006 IBC 2902.2, exception #2, it only requires 1 unisex restroom if total of employees + public is 15 or less.

Just thought I'd dig up this old grave and make a comment.

I have been looking at these pizza places such as little ceasers or papa johns as a B use. But as I keep going over it I wonder, at what point if any, was a pizza place with no patrons/seating (only pick up) EVER, EVER, EVER an A use? If it was NEVER considered an A-2, then how can exceptions for 303.1 apply to it? It can not.

So now I am waffling onto the M mercantile.

Must be slow in Illinois????

I guess you can make the argument a place that sells stuff and does not have seating for over 50 can be a "M"

versus an office building that has a meeting room under 50 and call it a "B"

If you apply 302.1

now you are going to change the way people have been doing business for 100 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rktect 1 said:
Just thought I'd dig up this old grave and make a comment. I have been looking at these pizza places such as little ceasers or papa johns as a B use. But as I keep going over it I wonder, at what point if any, was a pizza place with no patrons/seating (only pick up) EVER, EVER, EVER an A use? If it was NEVER considered an A-2, then how can exceptions for 303.1 apply to it? It can not. So now I am waffling onto the M mercantile.
Restaurants are A use. A uses with less than 50 are B occupancy. There is nothing in the IBC to justify M. NFPA 101 is another matter.

Yooz guyz kill me. (but this argument is fun so...)

303.1...........(end of paragraph) food or drink consumption.

A-2 Assembly uses intended for food and/or drink consumption.....

I suppose my grocery store is an A use now?

I really do agree with the B use when we have an occupant load of patrons sitting down eating that is less than 50 in total. So lets put 1 table and 2 chairs in every take out pizza joint.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could call it either an M or a B. Technically it fits into the M occupancy if you read the first exception to 303.1 which says "a building or tenent space used for assembly purpose......" If it's a drive-thru or just take-out, and there is no seating for persons to assemble, it wouldn't technically meet the exception.

I still classify all of them, drive-thru, take-out as well as sit-down with less than 50 occupants, a B to stay consistent.

Exceptions:

1. A building or tenant space used for assembly purposes with an occupant load of less than 50 persons shall be classified as a Group B occupancy.