• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Occupant Load for an Indoor Sports Facility

So What building code and edition are you using???????????

2015 IBC requires sprinklers at 12000

2015 IBC with NYS supplement.

§BC507.4 Sprinklered, one-story buildings.
The area of a Group A-4 building no more than one story above grade plane of other than Type V construction, or the area of a Group B, F, M or S
building no more than one story above grade plane of any construction type, shall not be limited where the building is provided with an automatic sprinkler system throughout in accordance with Section BC903.3.1.1 and is surrounded and adjoined by public ways or yards not less than 60 feet (18 288 mm) in width.

Exceptions:

1. Buildings and structures of Type I or II construction for rack storage facilities that do not have access by the public shall not be limited
in height, provided that such buildings conform to the requirements of Sections BC507.4 and BC903.3.1.1 and Chapter FC32 of the
International Fire Code.

2. The automatic sprinkler system shall not be required in areas occupied for indoor participant sports, such as tennis, skating,

swimming and equestrian activities in occupancies in Group A-4, provided that both of the following criteria are met:

2.1. Exit doors directly to the outside are provided for occupants of the participant sports areas.

2.2. The building is equipped with a fire alarm system with manual fire alarm boxes installed in accordance with Section BC907.

2015 IBC with NYS supplement.

§BC507.4 Sprinklered, one-story buildings.
The area of a Group A-4 building no more than one story above grade plane of other than Type V construction, or the area of a Group B, F, M or S
building no more than one story above grade plane of any construction type, shall not be limited where the building is provided with an automatic sprinkler system throughout in accordance with Section BC903.3.1.1 and is surrounded and adjoined by public ways or yards not less than 60 feet (18 288 mm) in width.

Exceptions:

1. Buildings and structures of Type I or II construction for rack storage facilities that do not have access by the public shall not be limited
in height, provided that such buildings conform to the requirements of Sections BC507.4 and BC903.3.1.1 and Chapter FC32 of the
International Fire Code.

2. The automatic sprinkler system shall not be required in areas occupied for indoor participant sports, such as tennis, skating,

swimming and equestrian activities in occupancies in Group A-4, provided that both of the following criteria are met:

2.1. Exit doors directly to the outside are provided for occupants of the participant sports areas.

2.2. The building is equipped with a fire alarm system with manual fire alarm boxes installed in accordance with Section BC907.

Without seeing a floor plan,,, I do not think you meet the exception and I would not allow the exception

And if there is spectator seating, sprinkler that too....I believe the intent is just the "sports areas" because of low OL and lack of "stuff" on the "fields" to burn, that is why you get the pass on FS

Also if you take

80000 and divide by 300 which would also kick in sprinklers

You come up with 266 sq ft per person??

So not sure what occupant load is being assigned to this practice field.

Here in North Dakota they even have to sprinkler Indoor Ice rinks even if it is to be be used as pratice do to the fact that any time they could use it for another event then the propose of that building changes.

Also if you take

80000 and divide by 300 which would also kick in sprinklers

You come up with 266 sq ft per person??

So not sure what occupant load is being assigned to this practice field.

20? How many people do you have in a soccer match at a time?

20? How many people do you have in a soccer match at a time?

Just doing some math to see if sprinklers are needed over 300

So dividing sq ft by 300 you get an ol factor of 266

Lot of area for one person

And it is an """ Indoor Practice Facility. """"

So could have 301 people in there easily

282' by 282 '???

If it is ALL participant sport, you don't need sprinklers at all per Ex. #2 listed above....Kind of a funny little glitch if you ask me....

Not thinking it is equal to

Arenas
Skating rinks
Swimming pools
Tennis courts

University practice facility (football, lacrosse, etc)
Maybe benches, no bleachers
Concept, schematic phase so we don't have a lot of details but I think the side lines are 20'.
NY State location

Still do not think it is :::

303.5 Assembly Group A-4.
Group A-4 occupancy includes assembly uses intended for viewing of indoor sporting events and activities with spectator seating including, but not limited to: