• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Occupant Load for an Indoor Sports Facility

Ok I got the

Unofficial

Offical answer

When there are seats or room for over 50 spectators

So let's hear possible occupant load numbers ??

The youtube video exposes a problem with the indoor sport space. For the indoor sport facility I recommend the exit # & size be designed to comply with a 15 sf assembly load factor ....THEN an occupancy calculation using the load factor for exercise rooms @ 50sf gross. This will be the "official" posted & enforced occupancy of the space and also allows appropriate parking(zoning) and plumbing calculations. Parking & plumbing based on 15sf factor can be a budget buster and kill an indoor sport facility development.

...so if the owner bootlegs a rock concert in the facility, no worries about attendees concluding they were victimized by deficient exits.

Do they have bleachers or some type of other seating???
What is it mainly used for??

303.5 Assembly Group A-4.
Group A-4 occupancy includes assembly uses intended for viewing of indoor sporting events and activities with spectator seating including, but not limited to:
Arenas
Skating rinks
Swimming pools
Tennis courts

That would kind of be my criteria

Who owns the building school district, college, private??

BC507.4 states:
§BC507.4 Sprinklered, one-story buildings.
of other than Type V construction, or the area of a Group B, F, M or S

Exceptions:

1. Buildings and structures of Type I or II construction for rack storage
facilities that do not have access by the public shall not be limited
in height, provided that such buildings conform to the requirements of
Sections BC507.4 and BC903.3.1.1 and Chapter FC32 of the
International Fire Code.

2. The automatic sprinkler system shall not be required in areas
occupied for indoor participant sports, such as tennis, skating,
swimming and equestrian activities in occupancies in Group A-4,
provided that both of the following criteria are met:

2.1. Exit doors directly to the outside are provided for occupants of
the participant sports areas.
2.2. The building is equipped with a fire alarm system with manual fire
alarm boxes installed in accordance with Section BC907.

Is there a definition for "Participant sports" anywhere?
Do the spectators require seating or fixed seats?

BC507.4 states:
§BC507.4 Sprinklered, one-story buildings.
of other than Type V construction, or the area of a Group B, F, M or S

Exceptions:

1. Buildings and structures of Type I or II construction for rack storage
facilities that do not have access by the public shall not be limited
in height, provided that such buildings conform to the requirements of
Sections BC507.4 and BC903.3.1.1 and Chapter FC32 of the
International Fire Code.

2. The automatic sprinkler system shall not be required in areas
occupied for indoor participant sports, such as tennis, skating,
swimming and equestrian activities in occupancies in Group A-4,
provided that both of the following criteria are met:

2.1. Exit doors directly to the outside are provided for occupants of
the participant sports areas.
2.2. The building is equipped with a fire alarm system with manual fire
alarm boxes installed in accordance with Section BC907.

Is there a definition for "Participant sports" anywhere?
Do the spectators require seating or fixed seats?

Sports that people participate in??

It gives examples

such as tennis, skating,

Sports that people participate in??

It gives examples

such as tennis, skating,

Correct...what about practice for football, lacrosse etc with limited spectators for a college? Since the code specifically states participant sports in this section, and not in chapter 3 where A-4 is described I think that ' 'participant sports' here may be more specific.

Now we get to where the ball meets the field so to speak, its a Field House/practice facility. Big as an aircraft hanger but with no fixed bleachers/restrooms, etc. Consider that in addition to team sports, band practices, graduation events, rodeos, dog shows, emergency evacuation shelter and other events could also be held in it. Could be as dense as 15sq.ft up to 50 sq'ft..
Have you checked with local fire?

Now we get to where the ball meets the field so to speak, its a Field House/practice facility. Big as an aircraft hanger but with no fixed bleachers/restrooms, etc. Consider that in addition to team sports, band practices, graduation events, rodeos, dog shows, emergency evacuation shelter and other events could also be held in it. Could be as dense as 15sq.ft up to 50 sq'ft..
Have you checked with local fire?

The practice facility would be just for the college use. The plan is to not use it for other events such as graduation or prom's etc. there is another arena and stadium for that use. I believe we have discussed this with our fire Marshall's but I could talk to them tomorrow for more detail. It is a large facility with restrooms. The field should be only for 150 people. We recently received updated drawings so the questions keep coming. Thanks for all the responses.

Let's start over

What is your code search goal?

Construction type

No sprinklers

Other

Let's start over

What is your code search goal?

Construction type

No sprinklers

Other
Goal now is to define indoor participant sports (BC507.4). §BC303.5 Assembly Group A-4 definition does not mention indoor participant sports. The indoor practice facility is for college sports.
From Wikipedia: A spectator sport is a sport that is characterized by the presence of spectators, or watchers, at its competitions. Spectator sports may be professional sports or amateur sports. They often are distinguished from participant sports, which are more recreational.

The structure is type IIB. The spectator area has not yet been defined. Should spectator seating be a certain number? Is there a minimum? The code does not get this detailed. Does this project comply with an A-4 occupancy to use the no sprinkler exception?

Your asking me

1. No it does not meet the exemption from sprinklers

2. I am sticking with 50 either seats or spectator standing area, to drive meeting spectator

Your asking me

1. No it does not meet the exemption from sprinklers

2. I am sticking with 50 either seats or spectator standing area, to drive meeting spectator

Thanks good to hear. Always good to hear other interpretations