• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Offensive Avatar

Arcal

Bronze Member
I used the former ICBO, now ICC code forum, for many years and turned to using Advanced Code Group when ICC made their changes. I like being able to hear of what other jurisdictions are doing to resolve various problems that are always arising during the course of enforcing the building codes. Unlike many of you, I do not access the site on a daily basis, in fact it might be only a couple of times a month. Today, when I went to the site, I found jar546 avatar to be, not “slightly offensive” as one person posted, but highly offensive.

I consider my job to be professional and to sit at my desk doing research to resolve a problem and to have this avatar pop up with my boss or secretary standing behind my back is not something I want to happen. Setting aside my position as a Building Official, I personally do not want to have this type of picture on my computer screen. I have a much higher respect for women.

I will stay connected with Advanced Code Group, but if these types of avatars continue, I will no longer participate.

The solution to your personal opinion issue is answered in Jobsaver's post above (#3).

I have, however, changed my avatar and hope that no one else has the same feelings about this one, as this new avatar means a lot to me.

I do realize that there may be some people who are offended by my new avatar and that no avatar is truly free from the negative personal perception of others.

Nice to have you on board Arcal, hope you stick around.

I know my new avatar will be offensive to Auburn fans, but I think I can live with it.

Jar, your new avatar is much better.

First of all, thank you for the immediate response to my post. I did not know that I could turn off the avatars, so thank you Jobsaver. Second, thanks jar546 for changing your avatar. I personally like the new one.

pretty big of him..........considering he owns and runs the site........

I didn't have a problem with the old, or new. Some folks probably find Harley's offensive. If my female supervisor were to see and comment on something that she saw on my screen while on jar's site, she would understand that some things just go with the territory.

kinda like Walmart people..........

fatboy said:
pretty big of him..........considering he owns and runs the site........I didn't have a problem with the old, or new. Some folks probably find Harley's offensive. If my female supervisor were to see and comment on something that she saw on my screen while on jar's site, she would understand that some things just go with the territory.

I think you folks have watched and noticed that I am not like a czar with this site. I make no money from it, it costs me money but I feel as though it is important to the industry. At the same time, I refuse to cater to people when they make 1 complaint but in this case, I can certainly see how someone would not like that. I had a similar avatar and received a complaint in the past so this is not unexpected. If I were a bully, no one would want to be here.

As always, however, I hold a hard line on politics and religion and we don't need that here. There is often a fine line in these areas and I make decisions accordingly. I don't see nor read everything on this site and often go days without even looking. In some instances, over a week. I am always hoping that I am not in the top 10 of frequent posters and right now I have slipped to #7 and would like to slip even more. Not that I don't want to post but I like to see others post more.

That was my point Jeff.........you do own the site (and yes, are very low-keyed), and that was why I said I thought it was pretty big of you to take the high road and change your avatar.

Bootleg said:
It's up to Jeff.
I agree, but the two old avitars were not professional and not in keeping with the stated goals of this forum.

I wasn't going to complian, but I do thank you for the change.

High Desert said:
I know my new avatar will be offensive to Auburn fans, but I think I can live with it.Jar, your new avatar is much better.
Obviously you're new at this.

I find painfully ignorant people in my jurisdiction highly offensive....can you do anything about that Jeff? Just askin...A guy can dream can't he?

If there is no open hunting season on them in you neck of the woods there is nothing that can be done.

You might be able to put up "posted" signs. But that usually does not work for obvious reasons.

An AHJ I used to work for would of written me up for that particular avatar. As they fired some Fire and Police personnel for about the some thing during their break times.

Thanks Jeff

fatboy said:
pretty big of him..........considering he owns and runs the site........I didn't have a problem with the old, or new. Some folks probably find Harley's offensive. If my female supervisor were to see and comment on something that she saw on my screen while on jar's site, she would understand that some things just go with the territory.

I've noticed that the "territory" is changing bit by bit.