• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Offensive Avatar

Brudgers, you have to be a minority in Alabama with Cam Newton as your avatar. I hear that 'Bama fans are lining up to buy Duck gear. :-D

Last edited by a moderator:
High Desert said:
Brudgers, you have to be a minority in Alabama with Cam Newton as your avatar. I hear that 'Bama fans are lining up to buy Duck gear. :-D
I won't say, "Cam looks like a million."

More like $200,000...

I hate to admit this but, After I enjoyed looking at Jar's Avatar... the politically correct part of my brain informed me that looking and enjoying the Avatar was improper. So, my programmed response became offended. Then I noticed the Avatar related to Diving, and then my normal brain joked about the two Avatars together and without thinking I posted a comment. Then my politically correct part of my mind stepped in again... I am soooo offended. I must now sit down and read about the offensive side of my male brain, and then I will spend time in Yoga and reflect on the proper thoughts I should have. Perhaps I might even give up red meat. Of course, If FM or someone else sent me deer jerky I would begin exhibiting typical male attitudes again and deprogramming would take even longer.

I think there is a difference between inapproprate and offensive; and either one is defined differently depending on the group.

I didn't find the big boobs offensive; but, it crossed my mind that others might; therefore I felt there might be a question of whether it was appropriate.

Now, Pyrguy's picture of a puppy gave me a feeling of love and being loved; therefore I shall find a way to locate his home and steal his puppy.

Y'all have a nice day,

Uncle Bob

UB, That was way too funny ROFLMAO

FBG, Will be making 70 pounds in February. Send me a PM with address (hopefully closer as you desire) and I'll send you a couple pounds after drying. We can't allow that rewirng, it's against man code :)

After reading this thread, I removed my Avatar and will not put another one up. Personally, I didn't find jars Avatar offensive, nor do I find any one else's offensive.... I won't cater to the PC people and put up what THEY think is acceptable. If I find something unacceptable to me on TV, radio, or anything else I change the channel/station or go elsewhere, I don't ask people to change for my own personal benefit or belief.

I must be having a bad day....... this PC crap is getting out of hand

beach said:
After reading this thread, I removed my Avatar and will not put another one up. Personally, I didn't find jars Avatar offensive, nor do I find any one else's offensive.... I won't cater to the PC people and put up what THEY think is acceptable. If I find something unacceptable to me on TV, radio, or anything else I change the channel/station or go elsewhere, I don't ask people to change for my own personal benefit or belief. I must be having a bad day....... this PC crap is getting out of hand
I'm with Beach and will man up and also will remove my Avatar like I said before WE ALL LOSE.

What are "PC people". What is "PC crap"?

I am aware that some people are offended by public displays of nudity, and others are not. I aware that computer usage occurs in both private and public areas. And, I am aware that some people adhere to a moral code that may prohibit, for them, even private viewing of displays of nudity.

Several posters have indicated a preference favoring the removal of what is factually construed by many to be either offensive to them, or inappropriate for their environment.

Others have stated that there exists no offense, or inappropriate behavior.

From where I live and work, the idea that varying degrees of displays of nudity might push someone's fences is not a foreign idea. And, from many of the television programs and movies that I have seen, and few places I have been, universally, it is not a foreign idea.

I do not believe disrespect was ever intended by Jeff, or by the posters against the displays of nudity. I do believe that if displays of nudity, and digs against those having problems with them persist, the forum will suffer.

I don’t know what the rules are here about double posting, I’m kinda new here, but this seems to be where all the action is. And, I’ve never been able to give just 2 cents worth anyway, so here’s my 10 cents worth.

Jar’s avatar doesn’t offend me that much, although I probably wouldn’t want it covering my entire screen when my Mother or my female associates walked up behind me. Although, that doesn’t seem to be a problem, I tried enlarging the photo (making it a screen background) and don’t seem to be able to do that. Get your minds out of the gutter. Jar was just trying to show some beautiful cantilevers, and those four certainly fit that description very nicely; stunning cantilevers on beautiful, shapely, structures, with four very nice columns (stilts, piers, extended pilings, legs) for support, extending just high enough to keep all the important stuff high and dry and able to withstand the flood in the background. Remember Katrina, those structures were not so nicely supported, nor high enough, columns always have to go all the way up. I don’t think I have ever used the phrases ‘beautiful or stunning cantilevers’ when referring to a cantilever made out of wood, steel or concrete, nor did I ever get as much pleasure out of reflecting on the latter materials or structural elements. I defy any of the Architects here to come up with a more perfect or beautiful design, although they may all think they do with every one of their projects. And, while we might wish that the codes would cover every situation and detail, so there would be no ambiguity, the ICC and other code writers will never do those two structures justice.

Our’s is a serious business, what with a want for quality infrastructure, public safety, economical construction, and all, but we should be able to have a little fun too, without being to offensive or offended. Stuffed shirts are covered in another code, spec. or department or on another forum. Jar, you gotta clean up your act, or you’ll get you’re a$$ kicked off this forum, who do you think you are anyway? :) And, I learned the other day that it is not appreciated if you are ****y around here either, and I’m sorry for that transgression. What are you trying to do? You should get much credit for starting a site which might be of considerable value to many, then you get us roped in, and then you try to turn the place into a p**n site. I was going to ask if you could provide me a link to a supplier for a few of those structures, but maybe I shouldn’t or someone will accuse you of pim**ng too.

I’m all for professionalism in our work, but it might be argued that you should know your trade, or code or business well enough so you don’t have to come to this forum, on a regular basis, for advice and interpretation in your everyday work, on something you are supposed to know and understand, if you are really professional at that work. Don’t forget, some fair share of the advice and opinion you get here might not be worth much more than what you paid for it. While I didn’t take the picture or force anyone to pose for it, I don’t find it that offensive. I actually take more offense at the rather high percentage of practitioners who seem to be floundering around understanding basic concepts and intent; on ever more complex codes, intended to cover ever more minutiae; on buildings and infrastructure made more complex, all in the name of eco-green or sex appeal, which are not significant improvements given the amount of difficulty they are to understand and work with. About the only thing the codes and computers, and their promoters and sales reps. haven’t taken over and don’t have figured out yet is professional judgement, experience, and well founded intuition, and the like. There seems to be less and less of that being used these days, God help us when that’s all gone and the computers and codes try to cover that too.

And I thought your comments were profound in the dormer thread...

I changed mine because I feel guilty that I didn't actually participate in any World Wars.