• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Old elementary turned Religious Education Building

For what it's worth, my understanding of the origins and intent to not call a religious use an "E" occupancy, goes back to the original intention of "Sunday School", where the parents we in a church service in the sanctuary, while the kids were in "sunday school class" in other rooms on the same campus.
If there was a fire or other emergency, the parents could go to the classrooms to help evacuate their kids.
In contrast, a regular state-mandated K-12 education puts a classroom full of kids under the sole lie-safety responsibility of one adult teacher. With that in mind, the life-safety issues of an "E" school use are different than an "A3" Sunday School occupancy.

None of this is stated in the code - - it's just anecdotes I've heard over the years as to how the code came about.

Plus if you call a real church an E now a days,,,, The cost would go way up and you might have a funny looking building

Many moons ago churches, schools, and college classroom buildings were A-4. Somewhere in the 1980s schools and colleges became E and churches were moved into A-3. Still later, I think in the mid 90s, college classrooms were moved to B.

As I recall the main differences between B and E were corridor width, guardrail height, fire alarm, and plumbing fixture counts.

If we are going by IBC chapter 29, plumbing fixtures depend on the actual use of the space and the occupant load. Even if classified this as a Group B occupancy, you still have either classroom or assembly occupant load.

If existing E occupancy, then E occupancy with classroom occupant calc. Adult function rental limited to same. A3 option would be more flexible.