• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Openable windows screwed closed

In reference to cost it's apparently less expensive to purchase fixed windows than operable ones and now the building owner must pay the price to maintain them as easily openable in accordance with IPMC.

However AHJ could allow them to be locked shut in accordance with section 104.1

My research has revealed that the window industry doesn't consider an openable window which has been screwed shut to be a "fixed window".
I am sure you are correct considering they are considerable differences in the manufacturing between "fixed" and "open-able" windows.

The code does not define a "fixed window"

201.4 Terms not defined.

Where terms are not defined through the methods authorized by this section, such terms shall have ordinarily accepted meanings such as the context implies.

The Intent of the IPMC is to ensure public health, safety and welfare. If there is no detriment to the occupants for having a "fixed" window in a specific location then what is the detriment for the occupants if an operable window is installed and then modified to be in-operable?

You can easily determine a policy for a "Fixed" window.

[A] 104.1 General.

The code official is hereby authorized and directed to enforce the provisions of this code. The code official shall have the authority to render interpretations of this code and to adopt policies and procedures in order to clarify the application of its provisions. Such interpretations, policies and procedures shall be in compliance with the intent and purpose of this code. Such policies and procedures shall not have the effect of waiving requirements specifically provided for in this code.

Pa. does not require permits for window replacement without structural change/alteration unless amended by municipality.

Once upon a time owner had inoperable windows, now has new operable windows, IMPC is clear, operable shall remain operable.

The alternative proposed above by Francis may be a viable option, just go and walk thru each unit to verify prior.

MikeC said:
A local apartment building had .... hallways and stairways had fixed windows....were replaced ....
Since the windows were located in hallways and stairways, the only question I didn't see answered is the need for Safety Glazing: "Were the window required to be SAFETY GLAZING? And if not, why not?"

Rick18071 said:
If no permit is required there is nothing you can do.
You are in the wrong section of this forum. You are referring to the IBC or IRC. IPMC is a horse of a different color. It applies to the general maintenance of properties and doesn't have anything to do with permits. Correcting some violations of the IPMC may require a permit and the application of another code. In this case, going from the current openable windows back to fixed windows would require a permit.

Inspector Gift, to answer the question about the safety glazing, I don't know. My only dealings with commercial buildings are through the IPMC. The commercial permits and inspections are handled by a separate person. I will take a look through the IBC and may contact him if safety glazing is required. That is addressed in IPMC 102.3.

ICE - Agree, opening sentence states that but that may be partial information based on the code complaint and verbal dicussion with the owner. Ex; permit app that states only putting up pole barn for storage only, at frame there is electrical, plumbing, mechanical, with room sections to boot. CYA

If it looks like a duck it damn well better quack like a duck. Code support cited above by others, as well as the reasonable alternative of paying a little more for fixed windows.

See code changes in the 2012 IBC section 1013 Guards, kinda goes along with this issue due to the window being changed out. Those of us that do not issue permits for replacing windows may have to look at the code changes and see if we feel we can still continue on as business as usual not issuing permits for window replacements?

IMHO, a screw holding a window shut is not considered hardware and if the IMPC is being used 304.13.2 applies. and like someone said, "Wheres the required screen?"

pc1

If the owner could have removed the windows entirely and filled in the opening with a wall and not have been in violation of any other codes (light, ventilation, etc.), I don't see an issue with screwing them shut.

fw. said:
If the owner could have removed the windows entirely and filled in the opening with a wall and not have been in violation of any other codes (light, ventilation, etc.), I don't see an issue with screwing them shut.
Agreed they became fixed when screwed shut

Screwed, nailed, wedged, painted, blocked and covered with plywood would be ok to some, if the glass is broken then we could have a problem?

Do you think any of these issues listed are the reason its in the IMPC to keep landlords from not making the needed repairs?

pc1

Pcinspector1 said:
Screwed, nailed, wedged, painted, blocked and covered with plywood would be ok to some, if the glass is broken then we could have a problem?Do you think any of these issues listed are the reason its in the IMPC to keep landlords from not making the needed repairs?

pc1
They are all reasons that apply to a landlord and enforced under IMPC.

But if a window is replaced that does not require it to be operable with one that was made inoperable by adding hardware or screwing it shut should not matter to anyone.

mark handler said:
Are storm windows legal on sleeping rooms?
I would say yes

1026.4 Operational constraints. Emergency escape and rescue openings shall be operational from the inside of the room without the use of keys or tools. Bars, grilles, grates or similar devices are permitted to be placed over emergency escape and rescue openings provided the minimum net clear opening size complies with Section 1026.2 and such devices shall be releasable or removable from the inside without the use of a key, tool or force greater than that which is required for normal operation of the escape and rescue opening. Where such bars, grilles, grates or similar devices are installed in existing buildings, smoke alarms shall be installed in accordance with Sections 907.2.10 regardless of the valuation of the alteration.

Gregg Harris said:
I would say yes1026.4 Operational constraints. Emergency escape and rescue openings shall be operational from the inside of the room without the use of keys or tools. Bars, grilles, grates or similar devices are permitted to be placed over emergency escape and rescue openings provided the minimum net clear opening size complies with Section 1026.2 and such devices shall be releasable or removable from the inside without the use of a key, tool or force greater than that which is required for normal operation of the escape and rescue opening. Where such bars, grilles, grates or similar devices are installed in existing buildings, smoke alarms shall be installed in accordance with Sections 907.2.10 regardless of the valuation of the alteration.
I say no

Most are installed and latched from the outside

mark handler said:
I say noMost are installed and latched from the outside
Window shutters or storm windows?

Storm windows frames or mounted on the exterior but the operable window can be raised or removed from the inside of the structure.

gregg harris said:
window shutters or storm windows?Storm windows frames or mounted on the exterior but the operable window can be raised or removed from the inside of the structure.
o k a y . . .

It seems as though some of you are not familiar with the International Property Maintenance Code and, therefore, are having difficulty with this discussion. The IPMC is a very small code which essentially states that everything must be kept clean, sanitary, in good repair, work as intended, and when repaired, brought up to current standards or as near as possible to current standards.

In the storm window discussion, it is my opinion that the storm window shall be openable from the inside. Aluminum storm windows can do this. The older style wooden storm windows which are fixed and secured from the exterior are not acceptable. While the code does not expressly state this, it believe that it is implied in IPMC 304.13.2 and 304.18. Additionally, if it is a bedroom window, it could be an emergency egress window.

304.18 Building security. Doors, windows or hatchways for dwelling units, room units or housekeeping units shall be provided with devices designed to provide security for the occupants and property within.

Here we have the old 'regional terminology' thing again. In the northern regions, a storm window is an energy saving glass window that does indeed latch and/or lock from the inside. In more temperate areas the storm window (or shutter) is intended to protect the window glass in times of severe weather events. I had galvanized hurricane shutters in Ft Lauderdale, and now have storm windows in NY.

mark, Why wouldn't storm windows be permitted in sleeping rooms? (unless they reduce clear opening below the required dimensions that is)

JBI said:
mark, Why wouldn't storm windows be permitted in sleeping rooms? (unless they reduce clear opening below the required dimensions that is)
The ones I am familiar with do not open or operate from the inside. I have never seen ones that operate or release from the inside.

That is why I said Okay... implying that I will take Greg's word for it.