1. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Openable windows screwed closed

Discussion in 'Property Maintenance' started by MikeC, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Gregg Harris

Gregg Harris Saw Horse

I would say yes

1026.4 Operational constraints. Emergency escape and rescue openings shall be operational from the inside of the room without the use of keys or tools. Bars, grilles, grates or similar devices are permitted to be placed over emergency escape and rescue openings provided the minimum net clear opening size complies with Section 1026.2 and such devices shall be releasable or removable from the inside without the use of a key, tool or force greater than that which is required for normal operation of the escape and rescue opening. Where such bars, grilles, grates or similar devices are installed in existing buildings, smoke alarms shall be installed in accordance with Sections 907.2.10 regardless of the valuation of the alteration.

2. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

I say no

Most are installed and latched from the outside

3. Gregg Harris

Gregg Harris Saw Horse

Window shutters or storm windows?

Storm windows frames or mounted on the exterior but the operable window can be raised or removed from the inside of the structure.

4. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

o k a y . . .

5. MikeC

MikeC Silver Member

It seems as though some of you are not familiar with the International Property Maintenance Code and, therefore, are having difficulty with this discussion. The IPMC is a very small code which essentially states that everything must be kept clean, sanitary, in good repair, work as intended, and when repaired, brought up to current standards or as near as possible to current standards.

In the storm window discussion, it is my opinion that the storm window shall be openable from the inside. Aluminum storm windows can do this. The older style wooden storm windows which are fixed and secured from the exterior are not acceptable. While the code does not expressly state this, it believe that it is implied in IPMC 304.13.2 and 304.18. Additionally, if it is a bedroom window, it could be an emergency egress window.

6. Mac

Mac Gold Member

Here we have the old 'regional terminology' thing again. In the northern regions, a storm window is an energy saving glass window that does indeed latch and/or lock from the inside. In more temperate areas the storm window (or shutter) is intended to protect the window glass in times of severe weather events. I had galvanized hurricane shutters in Ft Lauderdale, and now have storm windows in NY.

7. JBI

JBI Registered User

mark, Why wouldn't storm windows be permitted in sleeping rooms? (unless they reduce clear opening below the required dimensions that is)

8. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

The ones I am familiar with do not open or operate from the inside. I have never seen ones that operate or release from the inside.

That is why I said Okay... implying that I will take Greg's word for it.

9. JBI

JBI Registered User

In upstate NY we generally see operable, glazed storm windows. On Long Island they probably see more of what you folks in SoCal see... storm shutters.

As noted above by someone else, regional differences. :cheers

10. Frank

Frank Registered User

Mine all open from the inside. Triple track with screen. There are some that install with thumbturns from the outside, more generally used to seasonally enclose porches here

11. fatboy

fatboy Administrator

OT, welcome backinto the mix JBI!

12. Daddy-0-

Daddy-0- Moderator

If they have not increased the hazard then I do see where the big deal is. The windows were and are still inoperable. As stated earlier, the fire department will axe right through them if need be. I don't really know where the FD complaint has legs. Most importantly, what does your boss say?

13. fatboy

fatboy Administrator

And a warm welcome back to you Daddy-o!

14. MikeC

MikeC Silver Member

I am my boss.

The fire department complaint is based on the majority of small fires in the building where two windows need to be opened for positive pressure ventilation of smoke. No need to break a window in these cases. When I get a complaint, I visit the site and verify the violation of the IPMC and then address that violation. In this case, there is a violation of the IPMC and the intent of the IPMC section.

I revisited the building and found that, while the apartments are acceptable, all of the sill heights in the common areas create a fall hazard. After consulting with the 3rd party who handles all aspects of commercial permits, we came up with an idea which seems to keep everybody happy and will be a fairly reasonable fix for the building owner and the 34 windows in question. Window stops mounted to the frame, allowing the windows to open no more than 4 inches. The fire department will still be able to open the windows for ventilation purposes and occupants can open the windows and summon help if needed during an emergency. There are cameras throughout the building allowing the owner to deal with tenants who open with windows in non-emergent situations. I will be meeting with the building owner next week and discussing this option.

15. ICE

ICE Moderator

Was the fire dept. complaining about the fixed windows that were replaced?

Four inches of open window seems like little to nothing when it comes to smoke vents. If I need to summon help from a window during a fire; the opening needs to be big enough to toss out an end table.

Would you please explain the fall hazard? What year was this building constructed?

16. Chris wilkins

Chris wilkins Registered User

I am in a similar situation. I run a pool that has an openable window in the office which has access to the pool. It is a requirement to lock the window at the end of a shift. It has been left open multiple times and has become a safety issue with as anyone can open the window and have access to an unguarded pool. Am I allowed to screw the window closed to keep people out?

17. Chris wilkins

Chris wilkins Registered User

I would like to add that the window in questions is not a means of egress.

18. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

If the window is not required for safety (EERO) or ventilation, then fastening it should not be an issue

19. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

Do they have the 4 percent of the floor area, ventilated?

20. JCraver

JCraver Sawhorse

Yeah.

I missed this thread the first go-round, but it seems like it took a long time to answer a question that shouldn't have been a question to start with... If it is not required to be an operable window, then you are quite stretching the IPMC to tell someone they can't screw it shut.