• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Orange Foam in Commercial Buildings

I came across this situation in a school where FMC conduit was penetrating a fire rated wall separating a classroom from the corridor.

whenever I see orange foam on a commercial job site I sort of cringe and start hunting for it. I read the ICC – ES report for this and it is basically for blocking in wood frame construction on residential structures.

what are your thoughts?

View attachment 6325 View attachment 6326 View attachment 6327

No issues with it if it was used as a fireblock sealant to close a gap but not as a fill for a larger cavity or void.

I say this because the product states that it is a sealant and not a fill. It also indicates that it is not for filling closed cavities or voids.

One would usually take or saw out the excess material after spraying which the picture shows was not done. Reading the instructions, it actually says "trim cured foam with serrated blade".

Because it wasn't done, it is hard to judge if it was a big cavity that was filled up or if it was actually just a small gap around the conduit that needed sealing in which case the product application would have been acceptable.

I'd instruct the installer to saw off the excess material as a non-destructive request to verify.

Just judging from the angle of the FMC though as it appears on the photograph, it's almost certainly a cavity and may need to be redone with a more appropriate material.