• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Pool barrier w/ pool replacement?

steveray said:
Tom.....I am told we now also have a state statute that says that no local ordinance can be stricter than the state building code....wait till they find out that that effectively eliminates all zoning setbacks! Get elected, immediately insert head where sun does not shine!
You have got to be kidding!

What idiot passed that cr@p,:butt:eek:ops

So if the local ordinance can't be stricter and I am assuming it can't be less restrictive either, what is the need for local ordinances? :eek:

I guess 1 shoe does fit all

Need more liquid.............................................good night

I think zoning is an entirely different animal from the building code. While you couldn't say "we think a 10 foot fire separation is required instead of 2 feet, because it's safer", the municipality is empowered to regulate zoning, "the character of our Town is such that buildings shall have a 10 foot minimum side yard, 20 foot front yard" etc.

We don't issue pool permits without also issuing a barrier permit. If it was a repair permit, that would be a different story but, because a new pool is being built, a barrier permit would also have to be issued in this jurisdiction.

GPE