• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Potassium Hydroxide

Plumb-bob

I have a client who wishes to install a "pet aquamation" facility in our town, where deceased pets are dissolved in an alkali solution as opposed to burial. The active chemical is potassium hydroxide (caustic potash) and something like 500-2000lbs will be stored on site.

I am looking at the BC Fire Code section 3.2 Indoor Storage, but I do not know how to classify this chemical. Building related items such as fire separations are also relative to this classification.

This type of thought process around hazmat storage is relatively new to me, anybody care to share any related info?

Cheers

We do reference nfpa for certain things but hazmat storage is in our fire codes. Any requirements that I issue must be from relevant/active legislation, NFPA1 would not be enforceable in my jurisdiction.

Does this help … ?

Sidebar … we have a friend with an old dog in bad health, she called around and found a service that will come to your house and euthanize a pet, and take it away. Hers is a small poodle-size. $450.

Attachments

• IMG_3979.jpeg
    IMG_3979.jpeg
    754.5 KB · Views: 11
It is non-flammable, so it is unlikely to require anything under the fire code. There may be environmental requirements for storage (like pesticides), but that would be specific to your province and likely outside your authority for enforcement.

Does this help … ?

Sidebar … we have a friend with an old dog in bad health, she called around and found a service that will come to your house and euthanize a pet, and take it away. Hers is a small poodle-size. $450.
I have looked at MSDS sheets from various organizations and will use the info as I move forward. They all say the material should be stored in a well ventilated space so I may require mechanical ventilation of some sort.

It is non-flammable, so it is unlikely to require anything under the fire code. There may be environmental requirements for storage (like pesticides), but that would be specific to your province and likely outside your authority for enforcement.
Fire code deals with all hazardous material, including non flammable. Because this is equipment and material related I would not have authority as the building official, but I am looking at this as the business licence inspector. I think the fire department should jump on this but they are not very proactive...

Cheers

This is a ghoulish practice patterned after the way Mexican drug cartels dispose of their handiwork.
I am not sure how many people want their beloved pets dissolved in chemical, we will see if the business is a success or not.

Fire code deals with all hazardous material, including non flammable. Because this is equipment and material related I would not have authority as the building official, but I am looking at this as the business licence inspector. I think the fire department should jump on this but they are not very proactive...

Cheers
If it were regulated, it would be in the Class tables of the TDGR. Where it is not listed, it is not considered a dangerous good in any amount by the fire code. It's not radioactive, it's not toxic, so if there is no fire risk, the Fire Code doesn't apply.

The MSDS says it is considered a hazardous material, it is a reactive hazard, and has acute toxicity. Water cannot be used for firefighting.

I'm still not seeing anything under the fire code that would regulate this compound.

Honestly, I'm not really sure what your scope of revue is in issuing a business permit.

Are you saying water cannot be used because it is water soluble and would be mobile in the environment?

I thought caustic might be covered under H use but don't see it...Is it "water reactive"...? that would make it H3 (probably not)

[F] WATER-REACTIVE MATERIAL. A material that
explodes; violently reacts; produces flammable, toxic or other
hazardous gases; or evolves enough heat to cause autoignition
or ignition of combustibles upon exposure to water or
moisture. Water-reactive materials are subdivided as follows:
Class 3. Materials that react explosively with water without
requiring heat or confinement.
Class 2. Materials that react violently with water or have
the ability to boil water. Materials that produce flammable,
toxic or other hazardous gases or evolve enough heat to
cause autoignition or ignition of combustibles upon exposure
to water or moisture.
Class 1. Materials that react with water with some release
of energy, but not violently.

1685103849937.png

Potassium Hydroxide is a very potent alkali, not vastly different from Sodium Hydroxide (the most potent base, the most alkaline or caustic substance.) It is not a fire risk per se, but based on a little reading I think there is a role for the AHJ to play in regulating this occupancy.

NFC 2015, definition:
Dangerous goods means products, materials or substances that are (a) regulated by TC SOR/2016-95, “Transportation of Dangerous
Regulations (TDGR)” (see Table 3.2.7.1. of Division B), or
(b) classified as controlled products under HC SOR/2015-17, “Hazardous Regulations” (see Note A-Table 3.2.7.1. of Division B).

NBC 2015 definition:
Dangerous goods means products, materials or substances that are
(a) regulated by Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations (TDGR) (see Table 3.2.7.1. of Division B of the NFC), or
(b) classified as controlled products under HC SOR/2015-17, “Hazardous Products Regulations”

Potassium Hydroxide is regulated by TC SOR/2016-95 (https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-2001-286/FullText.html, https://cdn.files.rapidlms.com/view...6/ba/58/original/TDG_Regs_Update_Dec-2017.pdf).

Therefore it is a "dangerous good" by NBC and NFC definition.

From that, I argue the storage area must be built to Part 3/4, and I would argue it needs a two-hour fire separation: NBC 3.3.6.2(2)
also 3.2.5.1(2)(b)(ii)
impervious floors - 3.3.6.7

Section 3.1.2 of the NFC applies, as do clauses like 3.2.1.1(d), given the stated volumes are likely not exempted under 3.2.7.1.
3.2.7.9 says a fire suppression system is required.
Lots of reading there in 3.2, such as 3.2.7.14, 3.2.7.15.

Fire safety plan, storage limitations, etc. (3.2.7.5) apply as well.

Potassium Hydroxide is a very potent alkali, not vastly different from Sodium Hydroxide (the most potent base, the most alkaline or caustic substance.) It is not a fire risk per se, but based on a little reading I think there is a role for the AHJ to play in regulating this occupancy.

NFC 2015, definition:
Dangerous goods means products, materials or substances that are (a) regulated by TC SOR/2016-95, “Transportation of Dangerous
(b) classified as controlled products under HC SOR/2015-17, “Hazardous Regulations” (see Note A-Table 3.2.7.1. of Division B).

NBC 2015 definition:
(a) regulated by Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations (TDGR) (see Table 3.2.7.1. of Division B of the NFC), or
(b) classified as controlled products under HC SOR/2015-17, “Hazardous Products Regulations”

Potassium Hydroxide is regulated by TC SOR/2016-95 (https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-2001-286/FullText.html, https://cdn.files.rapidlms.com/view...6/ba/58/original/TDG_Regs_Update_Dec-2017.pdf).

From that, I argue the storage area must be built to Part 3/4, and I would argue it needs a two-hour fire separation: NBC 3.3.6.2(2)
also 3.2.5.1(2)(b)(ii)

Section 3.1.2 of the NFC applies, as do clauses like 3.2.1.1(d), given the stated volumes are likely not exempted under 3.2.7.1.

I'm not sure I agree. It is in packing group 3, which according to the fire code is exempt in the amount being proposed here.

...unless they are storing it in 1-liter containers...then it is in packing group 2.

I'm not sure I agree. It is in packing group 3, which according to the fire code is exempt in the amount being proposed here.

...unless they are storing it in 1-liter containers...then it is in packing group 2.
Quick search said it was in packing group 2. But you're right - none of the thoughts I had would be valid if no more than 1,000kg is stored.

But I think this has been informative - has for me. Key takeaway: just because it's not flammable doesn't mean the NFC doesn't apply.

Quick search said it was in packing group 2. But you're right - none of the thoughts I had would be valid if no more than 1,000kg is stored.

But I think this has been informative - has for me. Key takeaway: just because it's not flammable doesn't mean the NFC doesn't apply.
Thinking further on this subject, if it is a part 3 building, it would still need to follow the requirements for dangerous goods in Part 3, unless it is in the exempted category in the Act, which is a very small amount (30ml). This would just be below the threshold for the requirements in the Fire Code.

If it is a Part 9 building, there are no requirements though. How weird is that?

NFC 2015, definition:

NBC 2015 definition:

also 3.2.5.1(2)(b)(ii)

Thanks, I went down the same line of thought.

The TDG regulation puts much of the responsibility back to the shipper of the product to classify the product, and from there the requirements can be determined. So I will be communicating with the shipper.

Cheers

Thinking further on this subject, if it is a part 3 building, it would still need to follow the requirements for dangerous goods in Part 3, unless it is in the exempted category in the Act, which is a very small amount (30ml). This would just be below the threshold for the requirements in the Fire Code.

If it is a Part 9 building, there are no requirements though. How weird is that?

Thanks for the informative feedback.