• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

pouring concrete landing at wood floor sys height

Mac Moonfire

SAWHORSE
Hi,
A square concrete landing is proposed to be poured at the height of the floor system against the house on 2 sides. the landing will have a good slope away from the building and is covered by a roof of the same size.
The joist rims are fully blue-skinned (waterproofed). The builder proposed to pour against the blue-skin.
Leaving a gap between blueskin and concrete was discussed but the method not settled on.
I'm uneasy about this one. On the one hand, the framing seems protected, but the transition or lack thereof is causing me to wake up at night.

Experience and feedback would be appreciated.
Thank you !

Last edited by a moderator:

Metal flashing, see it all the time. I've never watched this video before, but a quick google search for "metal flashing for concrete poured against wood framing" turned this up, pretty well describes what I've seen, at least the first half. Not so sure I agree with the second half, I might have to watch it again.

IBC 1404.4 specifically SELF_ADHERED FLASHINGS to comply with AAMA 711, and FLUID APPLIED MEMBRANES used as flashing are to comply with AAMA 714. (See attached.)

I am not familiar with the product. Ask your building official if they will accept it as an alternative flashing material.

Attachments

• Self-adhered Flashing 1404.4.jpg
    Self-adhered Flashing 1404.4.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
2018 IRC R317
Wood siding, sheathing and wall framing on the exterior
of a building having a clearance of less than 6
inches (152 mm) from the ground or less than 2 inches
(51 mm) measured vertically from concrete steps,
porch slabs, patio slabs and similar horizontal surfaces
exposed to the weather.

2018 IRC R317
Wood siding, sheathing and wall framing on the exterior
of a building having a clearance of less than 6
inches (152 mm) from the ground or less than 2 inches
(51 mm) measured vertically from concrete steps,
porch slabs, patio slabs and similar horizontal surfaces
exposed to the weather.
we have 8" to grade and 2" to hard surfaces in our provincial code.

The homeowner has opted for blueskin and metal flashing to which the concrete has been poured to. That's it for this one.