• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Prep Sink - Health Department Requirement

ELLEN09US

I don't know if someone is familiar with the LA county Health department requirements.
I'm working on a Coffee shop that is all they have is pre-packaged food. How can I omit prep sink?
Thank you!

Not into sinks but does one of these apply
Requiring it

Call the city and ask?

Rinse/work sink: A single compartment rinse/work sink may be provided in service areas where blenders or similar equipment are rinsed and the three-compartment sink is not located within the area. NOTE: Rinse/work sink will not be a substitute for the requirement of a 3-compartment sink.

Manual Warewashing Sink: All food facilities, except those that have only prepackaged items in their original unopened sealed containers, shall provide a three-compartment

warewashing sink with two integral drain boards. The tub compartments shall be large enough to accommodate immersion of the largest piece of equipment and utensils; i.e., minimum
16” x 20” or 18” x 18” by 12” deep. The sink must be free standing (not installed in cabinets). Hot and cold running water under pressure shall be provided to each compartment. When the three-compartment sink is installed next to a wall, a metal “back splash” shall extend up the wall a minimum of eight (8) inches, and shall be formed as an integral part of the unit and sealed to the wall. The manual warewashing sink shall be easily accessible and conveniently located to the food preparation area. CRFC –114099

I've never met a health department that would omit a handwashing/prep sink. Good luck, but unless there's another sink in the preparation area where employees can wash their hands, I'd guess you're going to be installing it.

I don't know if someone is familiar with the LA county Health department requirements.
I'm working on a Coffee shop that is all they have is pre-packaged food. How can I omit prep sink?
Thank you!

I guess the question is how are they washing all their equipment and cups?

Thank you!
Everything is packaged? Coffee is prepackaged? How does that work? vending machine?

Are they asking for a prep-sink or a ware-washing sink?
You cannot use a handwashing sink for ware-washing. but you can use a ware-washing sink for handwashing.

You may want to get a copy of the California Retail Food Code. You can google it. It is also
available on the LA Co. Health Dept website.

If I had a nickel for every food service establishment that said everything was pre-packaged, and all plates and utensils were disposable....I would have a pocket full of nickels.

So, you have both but have a correction requiring a separate prep sink?
Have you checked the health code?

I think you've got enough sinks for a coffee shop.

When it turns into a Asian restaurant or BarBQ then you'll have a problem, but that my crystal ball acting up!

Does BO's use reason in CA or is it "Book em Danno"?

We're finding out that the Health Departments have a lot more authority than we ever thought.

That has "always" been the case. They ask for and you do. Like it or not. They "will" close you down if you don't pass inspection.

That has "always" been the case. They ask for and you do. Like it or not. They "will" close you down if you don't pass inspection.

Yes. Pure silliness. Kinda' like OSHA - they tell, you do, whether it makes any sense or not.

Miss Ellen will be lucky if they don't make her put in a mop sink, too. Around here they would....