• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

pressue blocking

Jobsaver,

I haven't seen any resistance to your idea. Why do you feel this should be looked at differently than nails in shear. I think we've gotten past the warm fuzzies and magic dust our memory paints our own work and methods with. We've agreed there is nothing other than nails holding the members together. What I have seen is reference to "properly applied" which everyone seems to agree is critical... We've had alot of shyness posting descriptions of what that is and not full agreement amongst the posted methods. That says this is not as "common sense" as we might think.

The Simpson hanger is holding the nail the proper edge or end distance and giving proper penetration. It is going through a steel side plate, we are going through wood. Go to the AWC connections calc... there are the numbers for either. Doing it all in blocking simply means the carpenter needs to be aware of those distances and the capacity of the nails for the variables in the assembly. We can figure the allowable loads for Bill's blocking. The fact that we don't seem to know how to do that is the reason a wood industry group like the AWC needs to put out a flier with simplified typicals similar to a Simpson catalog. In that same vein, I can fold a piece of metal and use the NDS tables or connections calc to make my own plates and hangers. By third party testing Simpson has been able to broaden the applications and raise the allowable values. That is what any testing might be able to do for you.

I'd talk to Virginia Tech or Washington State, you might be suprised. If they cannot answer the question right off the bat those grad students always need a project.

You don't have the re-entrant corner at the inside of a notch like you would with a ledger, the block will not roll into withdrawal like a 2x2 can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. That is a good idea that I will pursue. Since joining this forum, I have become motivated and signed up to participate in our COAR, the body of code officials in our state that helps with revisions for our state building code. I have already talked to a couple of guys having influence in this group, and they are receptive to this idea. I believe the students, and a university, might be more reseptive to performing a study on behalf of legitimate organizations of building code professionals. Who knows that the like-minded members of this forum can't pull together on this one and back me up on something tangible that can be accomplished despite the other lobbyists and special interest groups. I say we become our own special interest group advocating for common sense building methods that promote efficiency and building craft.If there is anyone reading this that has experience approaching a university asking for such a study, I could use some pointers.

Thanks. That is a good idea that I will pursue. Since joining this forum, I have become motivated and signed up to participate in our COAR, the body of code officials in our state that helps with revisions for our state building code. I have already talked to a couple of guys having influence in this group, and they are receptive to this idea. I believe the students, and a university, might be more receptive to performing a study on behalf of legitimate organizations of building code professionals. Who knows that the like-minded members of this forum can't pull together on this one and back me up on something tangible that can be accomplished despite the other lobbyists and special interest groups. I say we become our own special interest group advocating for common sense building methods that promote efficiency and building craft. If there is anyone reading this that has experience approaching a university asking for such a study, I could use some pointers.